t h i r t y - t w o

▪ ▪ ▪

will devoured his sandwich, stopping only to lick up the melted cheese that seeped through his fingers and ran down his palm.

he hadn't realized how hungry he was, but it did make sense: it had been days since he had consumed any food, and now that he had some in front of him he didn't think he could stop.

he was on his second cheese toast, barely remembering to breathe between each bite. the bread was slightly burnt, tough underneath his teeth, but the butter spread generously across the slices along with the mounds of cheese was enough to create, as far as will was concerned, a delicacy. he washed it off with ice-cold coca-cola, the sweet drink mixing with the cheese to create a strange, yet not unpleasant, taste in his mouth.

mike stood leaning across the kitchen island next to him, smiling coyly as he watched will eat. he hadn't wanted any toast of his own, settling for a bottle of coke instead- a bottle that was half empty now, though he seemed more interested in passing the bottle from hand to hand than in actually drinking it.

"good, huh?" he asked as will swallowed the last bites of the sandwich, clearing the last sip of his third bottle of coke and slamming it on the table a bit harder than necessary, as he let out a satisfied sigh.

"yeah," will replied. he was no stranger to cheese toasts- a kid who had to make himself dinner about 5 times a week couldn't be- but mike's cheese toasts really were something else. or maybe it was just how hungry he was. 

they had decided to stay in for lunch and will was secretly glad. the restaurant would mean seeing max and jane, and though he would love to see his friends it was nice to spend some time with mike, alone. 

sitting in his kitchen, in his hoodie, with mike there just inches away... it was like they were a coupl-

"up for fourths? you ate that one so fast i bet the toaster is still warm," mike joked, and will, of course, turned bright red. he had gone on a bit of a food binge, and it had to have been a less than an attractive view. but he was full now, perhaps even too full: his stomach was so packed he could almost feel it in his throat. he actually had to concentrate every fiber of his being in avoiding the mighty burp threatening to break out.

something you definitely didn't want to do in front of a guy, especially when you've already made yourself seem like a cow by eating practically everything in the house.

"sorry about that, i don't usually-" will started, laughing nervously as he fidgeted his fingers.

"don't be," mike cut in, smiling his sheepish grin again, "it's kinda' hot."

"hot?!" will exclaimed. he was so surprised he forgot to feign politeness- how could he ever think that was hot? but the word "hot" being even slightly targeted towards him made his face turn even redder nevertheless. 

"nah, i just wanted to see how red i can get your face to turn," mike's smile widened, "i think we officially reached tomato status."

will opened his mouth in shock (if he could get any redder he would've, but it really wasn't physically possible) as mike took his hands off the counter and straightened up. 

"come on mr. tomato head, let's go to the restaurant. we have to show jane and max you're not dead," he said. 

will obeyed, getting up as well- but not before muttering, trying to regain some of his dignity, "it's called a mr. potato head, not tomato head."

at this mike laughed, throwing his arm around will's shoulder.
"point will," he admitted, which caused will to smile slightly, "and i was doing so well!"

will joined his laughter, trying not to show how many butterflies had stirred to life in his stomach by mike's arm. 

and as if that wasn't enough to will's poor heart, as they left the house mike just had to talk again.
"and for the record, everything you do is kinda' hot, and very adorable ."

because that's just how he was, mike wheeler- a flirt. he always knew exactly what to say to get will's heart to skip a beat, and it was probably just harmless fun-

only now, will was starting to think it actually meant something. meant everything, in fact.

 and as evident by the fact that he was wearing his hoodie and was practically dying being so close to him, will really didn't mind. didn't mind at all. 

▪ ▪ ▪

they walked towards the restaurant, strolling slowly across the warm sand. they had no reason to hurry, and enjoyed just chatting amongst themselves. enjoying the sun, enjoying the warmth, enjoying each other's company. 

it was warm alright. the sun, the sand, the hoodie, mike's hand- they all added so much warmth will almost felt like he was inside a furnace. 

and yet, he wouldn't give up any single one of them. he wouldn't give up any single second of this most perfect of afternoons. nothing could ruin it now, not even his still confused mind, his aching face. he was so purely happy, so relieved, he felt like nothing could get him down.

not when his stomach was so full of the most delicious cheese toasts, not when mike was holding him so close (platonically or not, he couldn't care less at this moment), not when he was going to see his friends.

he should've known it couldn't stick. it was like the universe had heard his happy queries and taken it as a challenge, as if some cosmic being had heard he was happy and called at him from above: "oh yeah? let me see if i can change that."

because in a split second, in a moment, standing in front of them-

there he was.

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

𝐧𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝐭𝐡. 𝟏𝟎𝟏𝟓 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐬.

𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫 𝐬𝐚𝐲𝐬: two chapters to goooo