Chapter 44 - Forgot

Gideon POV

Gideon POV

It's my birthday!

We are about to enter the mansion of Mew's parents. He was on my back, following and still trying to console me. He noticed that I hadn't been talking straight to him since yesterday. I tried to ignore it by not talking to him a little. I can't help but feel hurt that he doesn't remember my birthday! How can someone forget this important day in his lover's life? If it was me? I will never forget any important event in his life.

I guess Mew and I are so different in this aspect. I tried to be okay with it yesterday, but I still feel so disappointed, especially today, my birthday! I'm feeling sad and down instead of happy. Many people have already greeted me. Even Sean, whom I haven't seen for over a year, remembers! There is one person whom I want to hear his greeting for me, but I guess I must stop myself from expecting so much from him.

"Babe! Would you mind telling me what's going on because I really don't know! I don't know what I did this time." He keeps on saying this on the way here.

"Babe, I already told you many times that I'm not angry with you. It's just that I've been so tired lately because of so many things that are going on in the office. You know that, right? Don't worry, babe. I'm okay!" I just gave him my faked smile. I've tried my best not to mind, even if he doesn't remember. I don't want to be a demanding boyfriend to Mew. I can't be like this. What if Mew gets tired of me because of this behavior of mine?

"But..." He is saying something, but I stop him.

"Seriously, babe, if you don't stop asking me, I will get angry with you!" I said to him.

"Okay, I guess I'm paranoid about this! I'm just not used to you not talking to me. I'm worried that I did something to offend you. If yes, you know you can always tell me."

"Babe, It's nothing!" I said to him.

"If you say so, Babe! Come on, Mom and dad are waiting for us!" He is smiling again; then, he is now walking beside me. I tried holding his hand as we went inside their house, but he let go of my hand.

"Babe, we can't! they will see!" Mew said, which made me sad again. I forgot! Fuck! This day is so hopeless for me!

"Sorry!" I sadly said and just proceeded to walk in front of him. He runs to my side.

"I'm sorry, babe! I promised I would make it up to you later." He winks at me. I just smiled faintly.

"Okay!" He smiled at me and kissed my hair before we entered the house. I guess I need to adjust my expectation in this relationship.

~~~

As I enter his parent's house, As expected, Auntie Vanessa welcomes me with a huge hug. I hugged her back, she was about to greet me, but I gave her the gesture not to greet me. Thankfully she understood me and just smiled at me.
Mew already proceeded to go to the Living room to join Uncle Luke, who is now watching a football game.

"Does he still don't remember?" Auntie whispered to me. I just shook my head.

"Don't worry, Son, tell me if he still doesn't remember until midnight! I will be the one who will smack his head for you! How dare he forget his best friend's birthday?" She said to me.

"Don't worry, Auntie, it's okay! Maybe he is swamped with so many things in the office. That is why he forgets. I'm okay! It's just my birthday, nothing special!"

"Don't say that, Son! No matter how busy he is, he can't do this to you and is not special? It is one of the special days of my life aside from my birthday, my children's birthday, and my husband's birthday. You are my son and your birthday is very special to me. I can't believe he forget!" Auntie angrily said.

"No, Auntie, it's okay for me. I don't mind!" I spoke.

"You're always protecting your best friend Gulf! That's why he is always abusing your kindness. Sometimes you must be tough to tame that stupid son of mine."

I just smiled at her.

~~~

We are nowhere at the table eating.

"So, Mew, how's the company? I heard you have so many successful closed accounts, ahh! Good Work, Son!" Uncle Luke said.

"No, Dad! Most are because of my ba..., I mean best friend effort." Omg! He nearly said, baby.

"Your what, Son?" Auntie Vanessa asked.

"Nothing, Auntie! What I meant was that most of those are because of the most promising effort of Gulf! He has helped me a lot in these past months. There were so many big changes in the company created by Gulf, which resulted in many good reactions not just for the clients but also for the whole company." Mew said, then he winked at me. I smile at him. It's good to hear that he appreciated my effort even though he forgot about my birthday.

"Oh! Really! I should be thanking you for that, Gulf! I'm sure Richard and Grace (My parent's name) are proud of you!" Uncle Luke said to me.

"Thank you, Uncle. you don't have to thank me because It's my job to help the company." I said to him. It's the truth. I'm just doing my job!

"No Gulf! Thank you for everything you did for this family, for Mew, and now for INF. I'm so proud of you, Gulf! As expected, you are Richard and Grace's son! You live up to my expectation of you. You are just like your parents! I wish they are here to witness all of this." Uncle suddenly became sad. I can see that he misses my parent. He and Dad are best friends. They are so close, just like Mew and Me; sadly, they died in a sudden accident. No one knows how it happened. We all know my dad always ensures that his car is always in good condition before going somewhere. But mysteriously, the break of his car broke, which caused them to be involved in an accident. It still hurts me to remember that day.

Auntie Vanessa saw how my expression became gloomy, so she tried to change the mood.

"Oh, come on, Hon! Don't spoil this day! I'm sure Grace and Richard are so proud of him. They don't want us to ruin this day, remember" Auntie Vanessa smiled at me.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to! Come on, lift your glasses!" We all stand and lift our wine glasses.

"For Gulf!" Uncle Luke loudly said.

"For Gulf!" They said in unison, and then we continued to have a happy family meal.

It is why I feel so grateful to this family. That even if I lost my parent and I don't have a sibling. I still have them as my family. A family welcomes me into their lives and home even though I'm not related to them.

I wish they would still see and treat me this way when they finally knew about my relationship with Mew. I hope so because I don't want to lose any of these four people in front of me. I love them like my own family.

~~~

It's nearly quarter to 9 when we leave Mew's parent's house. We are now on the way home. But till now, Mew hasn't remembered what day it is today. Every second that goes by hurts; it's nearly midnight. I guess I shouldn't expect any more. I tried not to mind it. I tried to smile and not to be hurt, but I really couldn't help it.

"Baby, are you okay!" Mew suddenly asks me. I'm currently facing the window.

"Yes, babe, I'm just tired!" I tried my best not to cry when I was saying this.

"Okay!" He said, then continued to drive.

"Babe, can I sleep for a while? I'm kind of tired already!" I said to him. I want to sleep for me not to think about the time going by. I don't want to cry in front of Marcus. I don't want him to feel pathetic because I'm crying. After all, he forgot about my birthday.

"Okay, Babe! I'll wake you if we are already home!" He said to me while still looking in front.

"Thanks" I force myself to sleep. I must be okay until this day passes. I will forget about this! I will!

To be continued
WAANJAIMJORA