Chapter 11 - Pretending

Gideon POV

Gideon POV

"What?"

"My proposal to Allyssa!" Marcus told me, wearing a big smile on his face.

"Why?" I accidentally asked Marcus loudly. I was so shocked by his thought! Why so sudden! Earlier, he talked about his problem; now, he is asking me to help him propose to Allyssa!

He seemed confused about my reaction. He looked at me like he didn't expect me to react this way.

"What? Why? You told me I should talk to her, right? I should clear things out on her! So why are you asking about my intentions now? Is it wrong for me to propose?" He sounded like he was not expecting me to react like this.

"So, this is what you thought I meant, Mew! Talking is very different from a proposal! How can you be confused between the two? Also, is it too early to ask her now, especially if you have this kind of thought about your relationship?" I started to panic because I didn't expect him to say this. I knew Mew loves Allyssa so much, but this? This proposal is so sudden!

"What's too early about our relationship? We have known each other for five years, and we've been together for three years. If I wasn't focusing and was so busy with my study. I would have asked Allyssa to be my girlfriend earlier. You know me, Gulf! I will never take any of my decisions lightly, especially this! My future life and family depend on this!" Marcus said to me, sounding determined to do his plan for Allyssa. I had never seen him as committed and serious about something like this.

Yes, you have already known her for five years, but me? You have known me for more than 20 years. Fucking 20 years, but what the hell did I get from you?

It seems that those 20 years mean nothing that you didn't try to get the chance to know me at all! If only you did, you should have learned and noticed my love for you. I thought I still had time, I didn't want to expect it, but there is still part of me that is hoping that someday you will see me not just as your best friend but as something you love romantically.

But what should I expect? Only Allyssa matters and not me. You only know me when you need me! Why Marcus? Why can it be me? Why? I wanted to tell him all this, but I knew I couldn't! I don't have the right to ask him for anything! I don't! Despite this pain, I still manage to keep a straight face toward Marcus even though, deep inside. I want to run away from him.

"Are you sure about this? Marriage is different, Mew! It isn't something you can toss away when you realize you don't want it anymore! It's not something that you stop if you feel tired already! It is a serious matter! Are you sure she's the one?" Please, Mew! Please change your mind! Please!

I'm pleading with Mew inside my head. If only I could tell him all of this, but of course, I can't! I'm such a coward! A big coward!

"Yes! I know Allyssa is the one! I can't take it or continue living my life without her. You should know that by now! If I propose to her, it will make our relationship more secure; that is all I ever wanted. I wanted to make sure to live the rest of my existence here in this world with the love of my life."