[38] pogging through the pain rn

kai

He weaved through the pack at the front of the school building, excited enough to be glad that they were attending school in person this time, but somewhat annoyed at how he'd adjusted to online school and waking up later with perfectly sleep-tousled hair. When he'd walked into homeroom, he'd been met with a safety measures presentation that was heavily reinforced and repeated to be drilled into their student's brain. Additionally, they were offering self-defence classes after school, just in case.

Kai sincerely doubted he'd be learning to fight anytime soon.

Obviously he had basic punches and kicks down, he'd learnt enough from the multitude of fights he'd been in at school. There was one fight he was interested to hear about. Before online school, apparently there had been a fight during a history politics class, which Nya, Skylor and Zane were in.

Because the fight had been 'organised', especially with VP Dareth subbing in, word hadn't spread around as much. But Kai was a gossip kid, and he knew practically everything going on in Ninjago High. Also, one of the fight participants was his friend and had been meekly slipping into school after being ruled as defeated.

"Psst—Rema! Rema!"

"What is it, Kai?" said the annoyed girl, clearly trying to let him know she didn't want to talk.

Kai ignored that and said, "Hey, you're friends with that Astra girl right? The one who fought Jake a couple of weeks ago?"

"Yes," she replied in the same snappish tone. "Why?"

"Can you tell me what happened?"

"I think they fought."

"No, like, more context."

Rema stared at him, then heaved a sigh. "VP Dareth had the idea to teach the class self defence, and Astra volunteered to teach anyone. She ended up fighting Jake and they were unnaturally good fighters, or so Kade and Bells said. Didn't last too long besides all the jabbering, but in the end, Astra won." She put emphasis on her friend's name and turned around again.

Kai considered nagging Rema for more details and decided against it since she was spinning a sharp pencil between his fingers absentmindedly, and if provoked further, he would probably be stabbed somewhere accidentally. Or purposefully.

He scanned the room, looking out of the windows carefully. There was an annoying voice in the back of his head that constantly warned him of that white-haired girl. He'd found out that Nya had nearly died from a gigantic branch crushing her, only managing to twist out of the way to avoid it. The next time he saw that girl, she was dead. He'd seen her a lot as well, especially when he was with Lloyd or Nya, following from afar in grim shadow.

Their homeroom teacher finished rattling through the announcements for the day and let them relax until they left for the first period. Kai leaned back in his chair, dangerously balanced on two of the back legs whilst scrolling through social media. The teacher was being egged on by students to put on the TV to watch Netflix for five minutes, and she gave in. Kai dropped his eyes from a chocolate souffle tutorial he was just watching and never baking, to see her switch it on, the news channel beginning it's intro.

He went back to figuring what fahrenheit to celsius was unsuccessfully when the television screeched horribly and his chair slammed back down onto the ground with Kai barely clinging on. The screen was glitching crazily and one of the other students was trying to fiddle with the back controls when the screen flickered white, and then a scene came into view.

Just to add to the spooky atmosphere, the lights in the classroom flashed once brightly, and then darkened. The camera was jostling as the figure in front ran through a corridor shadowed by torches flaming in their brackets. The mic picked up no sound - the long runner underneath their booted feet was eliminating the noise.