[10] The crowd goes 'Oooooo'

kai

He was late for homeroom. Again. But at this point, his teacher had given up trying to send him to detentions he already had, so he slid into the seat next to Rema. His classmate sent him a tight-lipped smile, going back to drawing in her notebook. She was in one or two of his classes, Kai vaguely remembered. He also remembered that she didn't like him flirting with her because she'd slapped him rather hard one time.

However, Kai did have a good excuse. Well, to his friends, it was a good excuse. Over the weekend, they'd finally finished setting up the hangout spot, which they were currently arguing as to what to name it. It was now scrubbed clean at the price of their poor hands and several buckets of water, soap and gloves. Hell, it was dirty. By far the biggest accomplishment was the power coming back on. It took Nya, Jay, Pixal and Zane the better part of Saturday evening and Sunday morning to somehow route the power to the room. Enough power for the light, the TV, the arcade game, the mini fridge and a few other things. Skylor, annoyingly, had voiced her concerns as to  whether or not the school would notice them suspiciously siphoning power from the school. It was then Pixal and Zane revealed their sneaky side. Pixal had opened her laptop, and with Zane by her side, had hacked into the school system scarily easily, and had changed up a few things so it appeared that everything was fine.

Lloyd had come through with the promise of his beanbags, though a little faded and torn, Zane was quite nifty with a needle and thread, so in front of the TV in a horseshoe shape were six large beanbags. Cole had sourced the television stand and the low coffee table, both a second hand from a place he refused to tell them the location of. Skylor had stocked the mini fridge with plenty of drinks and food from Master Chen's Noodle House, rigging up a coffee machine on a cardboard box that currently served as their storage, set on it's side so the flaps opened out, revealing some other snacks and mugs and plates.

The arcade game was disappointingly not working just yet. But Jay and Kai and Cole were spending all their spare time on it, so hopefully it would get up and running soon. The gaming system was by far one of the coolest things, and they'd all cobbled together a reasonable set of equipment to use. Nya brought a dartboard and some board games from their house, Pixal set up some sort of a charging station, and finally they had a room worth naming. They did eventually find a light switch, and they were sure to add even more things to the hangout, but for now, it was chill. And much to Pixal, Zane and Jay's innocence, he spent a lot of time assuring them that they weren't actually, technically, really breaking into their school.

It also got him in trouble.

Chad and the rest of his other friends were getting a bit pissed that he was spending so much time with his...dork squad, as they'd named it.

"Smith, you up for a game after school?" Jake tossed him the basketball as they walked out of English. Kai bounced it a few times on the concrete before passing it back.

"I can't bro, sorry."

"Hanging out with the dork squad again?"

Kai decided to ignore Chad and intercept the pass from Jake to Liam wordlessly.

"Come on man, just tell them you can't make it."

"Yeah, what are they gonna do, get Garmadon's dad to go after us?" jeered Liam.

"Don't." Kai said shortly, struggling to keep his temper in check. "They're more dangerous than you think."

They shut up after that, probably heeding his warning. Kai barely got serious with them, and speaking of the Sons of Garmadon offhandedly was probably invoking your doom. They had eyes and ears everywhere.