[16] Vroom vroom, I'm in me ___'s car

astra

Astra had an explosive temper, she knew that all too well. It regularly got her in trouble at school and at home. She walked past Fro-You, spying some of the kids from her school inside as Annabella dragged her past. Even though it was yogurt, and Astra reckoned that was as healthy as it got, the health-nut that was her friend argued otherwise.

"Oh come on 'Bells," whined Zander from her left. "It's healthy! It's yogurt for goodness sake!"

"It's full of sugar." snapped Annabella 'Bells' Han. "How many times do I have to tell you this?"

"Until we get Fro-You." answered Kade expectantly.

Astra snorted, patting the empty treat box Rema had handed her earlier. Rema hung out with a lot of people, and if Astra remembered, she was hanging out with Zi today. Her baking - and the little time she was allowed to spend with her friends, was something she greatly treasured. She even made some money for selling her treats, but as usual, that got taken away too. Bells always turned her nose up at the sugar-stuffed treats Astra baked, claiming that her almonds were just as tasty.

Fat chance, Astra thought with another snort. Almonds were useful in baking, but on their own, to her, they just tasted bland.

"Pleaseeeeeee." begged Zander, hopping up and down on the spot like a little puppy.

Bella humphed, then jerked her head towards Fro-You with a sigh.

"I'm not eating anything, and you lot can't have more than two sweet toppings—"

Zander and Kade took off towards Fro-You before she could finish. Astra snickered, only earning herself a thwack with Annabella's big floppy straw sunhat.

The boys were already ordering at the counter, and their noses would have been pressed against the glass if they were allowed to change back into their seven year old selves. Astra left Annabella in a horrendously coloured lime-green booth to place her order. She opened her wallet with a frown. She didn't have her credit card and she'd been refused pocket money for months - why did she think she'd have any spare money?

"Actually, just cancel my order please." She pocketed her wallet with a sigh and slumped back to where Bella was sitting and munching on carrots and almonds.

"Finally, you've learned how sugary foods are gonna kill you one day."

"If that's the case, everything we eat is going to kill us 'Bells." Annabella looks aghast. "Oh, come on, name me one food that doesn't have sugar in it?"

Bella opened her mouth.

"Which are vegan."

Another notable point was that Bella was vegan and had been for the longest time. Astra was convinced her best friend was going to turn into a rabbit any day soon. Or an almond.

"Avocado." Annabella replied triumphantly, proceeding to rattle off a list of health benefits from memory.

"Howsh chrome yoush dishnt geeph onsh?" asked Kade, mouth full of his crazy concoction. More than two toppings, Astra noted with a smirk. Kade was a softie but he rebelled in tiny, Kade ways.

"Couldn't pay." For extra effect, she shook her wallet with no coins rattling to prove her point.

Kade had come to Ninjago High a year after Astra, and unintentionally had become the newest source of bullying, simply because he hadn't had a Netflix movie glow up. He still held that baby fat, was not exactly the fittest guy and overall was not people's joy. Actually, he still wasn't, but Astra didn't really have a fuck to spare right now, and Kade was a stupid idiot, but he could be funny sometimes.