[01] so, who blew up the lab?

❝ so i never really knew you ❞ 

— moral of the story, ashe —

jay

Jay wasn't sure as to how exactly he'd manage to wind up in detention. He'd been in here a couple times before, mostly because Kai and Cole had somehow roped him into a few pranks. The detention teacher had left to get coffee, but Jay knew she smoked at the back of the building to 'help her stress'. Pulling out his maths textbook, he sighed, rummaged around his backpack for his pencil case and unzipped it just as the door flew open with a bang. In came Kai, as noisy and as boisterous as ever, tossing the basketball back to Cole, who still had his headphones on and was jamming out to some sort of music.

"Jay?" Kai sounded somewhat surprised. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm in detention you big buffoon," he replied simply, placing his protractor on the graph paper with another sigh.

Cole lifted off one side of his headphones. "How'd you end up here without...us?" his hands gestured towards himself and Kai in confusion.

"I — I'm not sure..." he answered, rubbing out a wonky line.

Kai and Cole stared at him until the latter came to a conclusion.

"You blew up the science lab?"

"I didn't mean to! And how did you know?"

Cole pointed at the chemically stained clothes Jay was still wearing. "Everyone in the school's wondering who did it. Honestly, I'm a bit offended you didn't invite us."

"It was an accident." Jay insisted, crumpling his homework with a sigh. He couldn't concentrate.

Kai snatched the ball out of Cole's hands and bounced it distractedly on the floor a few times, running a hand through his hair. "Yeah, well, Nya's pissed."

Speaking of the devil, Nya stormed in, followed by a wide-eyed Pixal, clutching a stack of textbooks almost as tall as the girl herself.

"Why did you blow up the lab?" exploded the raven-haired girl, slamming her hands down onto his table.

"I —"

"I was this," Nya's index finger and thumb were millimetres apart. "Close to finishing my assignment and oh, ho! Someone blew up the science lab."

"How did you find out anyway?" Jay asked, stuffing the rest of his books and work into his bag.

"News travels fast." Kai piped up, waving his phone about.

"You mean your fingers travel fast," Jay muttered under his breath. He zipped up his bag, stood up and made his way to the door when for the third time today, it flew open and Zane and Lloyd tumbled in. The first boy immediately made his way over to Pixal, the second slumping into a nearby chair with a groan.

"My uncle's going to kill me."

Unfortunately for Lloyd, his uncle Wu was the headmaster of their school, and even more unfortunate, he got in almost as much trouble as Kai and Cole. It seemed like Pixal and Zane were total newbies to the detention room, and Jay knew for a fact that Nya, having punched more than her fair share of people was more than welcome here.

"What did you do this time?" Pixal asked, setting down the stack of science textbooks.

"Everyone thinks I blew up the-" Lloyd's phone pinged loudly, and the blond read the notification with a grin. "Never mind, everyone knows Jay blew up the lab."