Chapter 30

When he pulled down Angel's block and saw all the police cars he knew something had gone wrong. The whole street was blocked, so he left his car right on the corner and hurried down the street. A lot of the residents, all white, were standing outside trying to see what was going in. Police cars and ambulances were everywhere. Yellow tape was surrounding a house.

The police were in front of Angel's house.

"Hey! That's my girl's house!" he yelled out.

He tried to get through the tape, but two police officers grabbed him and pulled him back.

"Yo! That's my girl in there! What happened? Y'all better let me go!" He was trying to struggle to get free but they were pulling him back.

"Do you know the victim?" one asked, twisting his arm behind him.

"The victim? Wha--what happened. Where's Angel? Let me in there. I live there too. Let me the fuck go!" He tried to break free from those cops but another two came over, one pulling out a gun aiming it toward him.

"Sir, calm down or leave the scene."

"Fuck y'all! My girl in there and y'all got me?"

The cops slammed him to the hood of a police cruiser. They were trying to cuff him when someone yelled out.

"Hey! Let him go, he's with us."

The cops pulled him up. It was Angel's father and mother as they walked to the scene.

"Get off him," Eddie said to them. "You see a Black man in a white neighborhood and you think criminal. Meanwhile, that crazy mother fucker did something to my child!"

"Sir, if you just calm down, tell us who you are?"

"Hook, what happened?" Mrs. Hamilton asked him as the cops released him.

He shook out his sore shoulder. Stupid ass cops. "I don't know. I just got here, they won't let me in."

He knew it was that mother fucker Matthew. He did something. He should have been here with Angel. That mother fucker was not getting away with this.

He grabbed his phone out of his pocket.

"Yo cuz, Imma need you and yo boys to meet me way the hell out in west county, I have a situation. I gotta kill a mother fucker," he said. "Bring that real heat."

He looked over at Angel's parents talking to the cops. They were bull-shitting not letting him in. He didn't know if it was a simple break-in or something worse. He walked over to her parents.

"They tell you anything?"

"Still working the scene," Eddie said. "Why weren't you here? I thought you were supposed to be protecting her?"

"I was...I had to work. You know I wanted to be here. I told her not to come home because I was running late."

"Nooooo!" They heard a scream from Angel's mom. She was screaming and fell to the ground as a body was brought out in a body bag.

"Fuck," he muttered.

Both he and Eddie helped Mrs. Hamilton up.

"My baby, no, no my baby!"

"Honey, we don't know that's her. We don't know that's her," Eddie kept saying.

Then who the fuck was it? Who else was in the house? His stomach was a ball of knots.

"They have to let us in, right Eddie. If they cleared the crime scene."

Then the paramedics were carrying out another stretcher. This time a person was laying on it with blood everywhere. It was Angel.