Chapter 54

Six months later...

Jared was throwing a holiday party at his place and he invited him. It was cool because they had hung out a lot, and he was always stopping by the shop to see Marvin. Things were going well with them. Marvin was even talking about moving out of his parent's house and in with Jared. That seemed a bit rushed, but who was he to say.

He wondered if she would be there.

He figured she would, she was still best friends with Jared, though they did not talk about her. It was cool hanging with Jared versus his other friends. They all wanted to drink, smoke, and go to strip clubs. Jared liked fancy wine that he'd gotten used to and staying in and cooking. And he could cook, so it wasn't him having to do all the meal preparing.

Jared prepped most of the food for his party, but he ordered some food too. Hook did not feel out of place at the party, since he had met some of Jared's friends from hanging with him and from a previous party meeting his fraternity brothers. It was a small gathering of about twenty people, mostly couples. He was the only single man there. He had been there thirty minutes and had not seen her.

Was he wishing to see her?

Yes. He was very anxious to see her. Because he and Jared did not talk about her, he wondered about her a lot. Was she happy without him? Did she find someone else she fell in love with and forgot about him? What if she brought a date? That would be awkward.

Even more awkward, Shay showed up with Elmer. He was still working with Elmer, although he did most of the work virtually and did not come to the shop often. She wondered if Shay knew they were still working together. Of course Elmer would tell his wife everything. He had not seen Shay since the drunken night when she came on to him.

"Hey Hook, how's it going?" Elmer said as they approached him while he was trying to hide out in a corner. He was sitting alone on a sofa, pretending he was more interested in his phone than the people around him. When Elmer and Shay approached, he stood to greet them.

"Good. Nice to see you, and Shay," he said as politely as he could. He wondered if she was embarrassed or over it. That was so long ago and he was over it.

"Hook, it's nice to see you here," Shay said, and he detected friendliness in her voice, so he smirked, waiting for her to come back at him with a wisecrack. "Angel's on her way, you should talk to her."

He did not expect that at all.

Shay laughed at the look on his face. "Stop looking like that! I'm just saying that because I know how my sister still feels about you and I liked you two together...yes, I was a bitch at first, after that night, how you took care of our drunk asses...you're a good guy to me."

"Well...thank you." He still was in complete shock at this turnaround.

"And don't think because I tried to hit on you means a damn thing," she said and laughed. "I just get horny when I'm drunk."

"Never drink with me again," he said with a chuckle.

"Gotcha," she said.

"She's only drinking when I'm around," Elmer said.

Elmer found some wine and they all poured themselves a glass and sat. He talked more with Elmer and Shay and for once, he got to know Shay and she didn't seem so mean, bitchy and bitter. With Elmer, she was loving and affectionate and despite the race difference and age difference they seemed to have a decent relationship. He always wondered about opposites and making it work. They were a family, they were happy, they were in love.

Then there she was, walking in fashionably late. She looked like that night when he first met her. Her long weave was back, though, to the not so keen eye, it looked like it grew from her head. Her make-up was flawless, she wore a bright red pants jumpsuit with a black jacket over it. He immediately saw her, but she was busy saying hello to everyone.