Chapter 53

She did not want to make a big deal about her birthday, yet, here she was, in the middle of a party, her parents threw for their going away, on her birthday. Not many of her friends were there, but plenty of her father and mother's friends, all her "play aunts and "play uncles." All her mother's sorority sisters hounded her about pledging one day. She was a legacy, after all, why not?

Not for her.

Though her mother was in a Black sorority, most of her good friends were white. All of them wanted to introduce her to their sons. The same boys that when she was growing up wanted nothing to do with her. And the few that would ask her out, she never had any interest in them.

It was all too much for her. She needed to find a corner of the house to try and be by herself. Her mother was entertaining in the dining room and living room area, her father in his man-cave.

"Hey birthday girl," her sister said, coming over to her with a big, wrapped box. She was with Elmer, Dahlia, and EJ.

"I told you not to get me anything."

"And when do I listen to you," Shay said, pushing the box toward her.

"TeeTee, I helped pick it out," Dahlia said, hugging her. "My favorite TeeTee."

"How many does she have?" Angel said, asking Elmer.

"Just my sister who lives in Chicago and she rarely sees."

"Oh, okay, I'll take that," Angel said. "Then you're my favorite little niece."

"TeeTee, you don't have any other!"

"I know, which makes you my automatic favorite," she said. "Help me open this gift you helped pick out. If it's not the latest Louis V bag, take it back."

Angel and Dahlia ripped the paper off then opened the box. Indeed, it was the latest Louis Vuitton bag both she and her sister were drooling over.

"And that's why you're my favorite sister," she said to Shay, rubbing all over the bag. "I love it!"

"Can I have it when you're done with it," Dahlia asked.

"I'm never going to be done with this bag."

"Dahl, mommy bought one for herself, so when you're older, you can borrow mine."

"And maybe we'll be in the poorhouse by then if you spend that amount of money on a purse," Elmer said. "But long as you're happy, we'll be in the poorhouse together."

"And see, that's why he's my favorite husband," Shay said, then laughed. "Just kidding! You're my only husband...for now. Kidding again!"

She had fun with her niece and nephew and talked a bit with Shay, but they had to leave the party early. Now she was bored again and ready to leave. If she snuck off to her bedroom and locked the door, maybe no one would notice her missing. She was halfway upstairs when she heard a familiar voice call her name.

She rolled her eyes and turned to Jared.

"Hey."

"Happy birthday girl!" He grabbed her arms and pulled her back down the stairs "I know you were trying to sneak off, but I'm not letting you. And I know you think you still mad at me, but we've been friends too damn long and I'm just not here for it."

"I'm not mad."

"Well good! Now come have some fun at your parents' party. I know Queen Bee didn't cook a thing so the food should be good."

She was glad Jared was there, at least there was someone she liked and could talk to. There was a long buffet set up with servers to help them make their plates. Angel wanted some of everything she saw, while Jared was being a picky eater. They took their plates and went outside on the gazebo to eat and talk.