Chapter 51

Her parents were getting on her nerves. She was going to miss them when they were gone, but right now she could not wait till they were gone. Then she would have the place to herself.

The huge five-bedroom, six-bathroom, three-level home. She was planning on lots of renovations, to modernize the house that her parents had not touched much since they bought the place twenty-three years ago. The first thing was her father's man-cave. That had to go. She could be lame and make it to a she-cave, but she had bigger plans.

She was also redoing her parent's master bedroom to her liking and then she would take that room. They had the best closet space. Her mother had a separate walk-in closet the size of some people's bedroom. Her father's walk-in closest was smaller but still a nice sized closet. The master bathroom was going to get everything updated, tub, sink, floor, shower. Her parents would not recognize it.

She was only doing minor changes to the rest of the house unless she changed her mind. Right now she was focusing on helping her parents with the move.

"You know, we should have a big party to celebrate. Our going away...and your birthday," her mother said as they went through the outside shed to clear old remnants of her childhood. Bikes, dolls, dollhouses, and lots of board games. Her mother had not thrown out a thing.

"Mom, no, just no."

"Why not? We'll be all the way in Arizona and I won't get to see my friends maybe for months."

Her mother did have lots of friends, thanks to her large sorority.

"If you're going to have a party then, don't include my birthday in it. I don't want to do anything."

"But mope around the house like you have been the past few weeks?"

"He-ey! Look, mom, Shay's old sewing machine," she said, trying to change the subject. "You think she wants this? Maybe it still works and she wants to give it to Dahlia?"

"Little girl, you're not slick," her mother said. "And you girls should keep your things, it's memories."

"It's junk mom. Who plays board games anymore when there are phones and tablets?"

"You young people," her mother said. "We have to donate all these things to Goodwill then. You girls kept everything in good condition. Dolls like new."

She picked up a Black Barbie doll, looking like she was ready to hit the runway. That's what she made the dolls do. She would roll out tissue on the floor and make a runway and strut her dolls across it, complete with commentary. Then she would dress up in her mother's dresses, and strut down the hall like she was in a show, complete with little poses as if someone was taking pictures of her.

She rubbed the doll's hair and thought of Symone, always wanting her to play dolls with her and fix the doll's hair.

Why did she miss those girls as much as she missed him?

"You okay?" her mother asked her.

She brushed away a tear. "I know who would love these dolls. Symone."

Her mother smiled at her. "True. Why don't you call Hook and offer them to her."

"No mom, I'm not calling him."

"And why not? "

"He dumped me. He doesn't want me. What am I supposed to do? Go crying back to him. It'll just keep happening over and over again. I just need to be alone and focus on myself. That's it, that's all."

"Hmmm," her mother simply said and went back to going through boxes.

She did not know what that meant, but she was going to get over Hook. That's all there was to it. She did not want to immediately find someone new, she wanted to spend time alone, reflecting, healing, figuring out why she wrecked so many relationships. She knew she was to fault for Matthew, for Hook. With Russell, he was one of the men that fucked with her head, but she did not blame him.