Chapter 27

Today was the day she faced Matthew. Her father was not her lawyer, but he insisted on being there for the dissolution of marriage. It should be an easy process, except Matthew was putting up a fuss. She wanted to have a "no-fault divorce" but of course, Matthew was claiming her infidelity as the reason the marriage should be dissolved.

He had proof of what she had done, she did not.

Matthew found out she was having an affair with her ex-professor and he had a private investigator follow her and take pictures. He went through her phone, text messages that he captured, and emails. He brought all of her indiscretions to court.

She did not have proof, other than he flaunted the women in her face.

The main issues they had were the distribution of property and alimony. Matthew had lots of money before she even met him. His parents were real estate giants in St. Louis. He had a trust fund at twenty-one. He made close to a million a year working for her father. She did not need alimony from him so that was easily thrown out. The issue was the property. The house and her business.

"You're not getting a dime out of my business!" she yelled at him in the small conference room of his lawyer's office. "I started it on my own, without your money."

"Are you kidding me? You quit your job and sat on your ass for two years taking pics of yourself and posting them on IG. That wasn't making you any money. Who do you think was supporting you while you did that? Who helped you to branch out when you were selling clothes from the basement? Bitch!"

"Matthew, don't make me knock the hell out of you," her father said.

"Sorry, sir, but your daughter is a lying, conniving b... And I'm suing you for wrongful termination. I was your top lawyer, you had no grounds to terminate me except that bitch ass daughter of yours."

Her father jumped up from his seat. She grabbed her father's arm.

"Dad, sit, stop."

She looked across the table at Matthew. She remembered when she thought he was so handsome and charming. Maybe she did not give him a fair chance because of her entanglement with Dr. Russell Hart. She thought she loved Matthew enough to make it work. She did not want to disappoint her parents. They had a happy, loving marriage, she wanted the same. She could not get that from Russell, so...she tried.

"Matthew, you know very well I cashed in my savings and 401K. I did not take a dime from you. Not a penny! My business is off the table. As far the house-"

"You're not getting my house! That was my house before you even came into my life and now you have some thug living in my house? You didn't put a dime into that house."

"You don't want that house you just really want to hurt me."

"Why the hell should I give you my house when you're the whore? Get you and that bum ass thug outta my house, take that shit or leave it," Matthew said and stood with his lawyer. "Eddie, I'll see you in court next week."

"That's Mr. Hamilton to you...ass!"

After they left, she looked to her lawyer.

"Angel, if all he is asking for is the house, let's just give him that and this could be all over."

She turned to her father.

"Daddy?"

"You keep that house he will always think he has some control over you."

She loved her house, but was it worth the battle she was going through with Matthew?

At home after the court date, she poured herself a glass of wine and walked around her home relishing it. Did she have to give up the home she lived in for ten years? Sure, Matthew owned the home before they were married, but once she moved in she made it her home. All the furniture, she bought. All the decorating was her. All the love and care put into that house was all her.