Chapter 17 - Work, Work, Work, Date, Work

Hey guys! So even though this isn't fanfiction.net, I have a few friends on her from ff.net. And I would like to say...IT'S EXACTLY A YEAR SINCE I CREATED AN FF.NET ACCOUNT AND UPLOADED A STORY! Yay! Well, here's Chapter 17 of The Purple Flash. Enjoy!

****

Clarity’s POV

I shrugged on my leather jacket before speeding to work, as a forensic assistant. “Joe, why is she late? Clarity is never late,” I heard someone whine as I walked in the building.

“Sorry I’m late. Alarm clock broke,” I lied and pulled my hair out of the jacket. Joe pulled me aside along with Barry.

“Does this mean you two made up?” He asked hopefully. I shook my head.

“It means I’d like to keep my job. When Barry tells me his decision we can get back to our normal-ish lives. Now if you excuse me, I have work to do,” I told him and raced upstairs. I heard someone walk in. Probably Barry.

“Glad to have you back, Parker,” They said. I jumped a little when I didn’t recognize Eddie’s voice.

“Sorry. Where were you yesterday?” He asked while laughing a little. I sighed and looked at my hot chocolate then back at him.

“Sick. Just a bad stomach ache. Probably too many Christmas cookies,” I joked. He nodded and looked at the sample I was finishing up.

“What case?” He asked as he studied it. I shrugged.

“Joe wanted Barry to do it but Barry is still downstairs talking with Joe so I’m doing it since I’m a nice person.” I smiled and put the sample aside and organized the desk.

“So a nice person breaks up with their boyfriend?” He asked, raising an eyebrow. I stopped organizing the desk and leaned on it before looking at him.

“Eddie, I’m not in the mood to talk about Barry. I got over it with some drinks,” I replied and carried a stack of files to another desk.

“What kind of alcohol?” He joked. I turned to look at him.

“Is this 20 questions? And it was a milkshake. Kat and I also ran into Barry there,” I told him as Barry walked in.

“Good. You’re here. Here’s the sample Joe wanted. Eddie, leave. Go do something useful besides question me. I’m not a suspect,” I laughed and shooed him away. Barry gave me an odd look before speaking up.

"Since when are you that nice to Eddie?” He asked me. My smile fell. That’s what he decides to ask?

“Since you started ignoring me. I don’t see what the big deal was. We broke up because you like her. I honestly don’t mind. I was questioning our relationship every time Iris was around. I see the way you look at her, Barry. I can get over it. I just need to distract myself. Where the hell did I put my phone?” I asked as I moved stuff around on the desk. Barry tapped me on the shoulder, gaining my attention. He’s holding my phone.

“Thanks,” I smiled and took it from him. Well, tried. Our hands touched and we both froze and stared at each other. It was like sparks flew from when we were together. The feeling I had whenever his hand would brush against mine or when we’d bump into each other. Just like when we were kids. Our hands would brush against each other and I’d blush and get butterflies in my stomach. I still have feelings for him, real feelings. I grabbed my phone and cleared my throat, breaking the silence.

“Clar?” Barry asked, catching my attention. I looked over at him.

“Do you wanna, maybe, grab some coffee and hot chocolate later?” he asked me, smiling a little. I smiled and nodded.

“I’d like that.” I took a sip of my water before turning back to Barry. I looked behind him and saw the board with his mother’s murder.

****

“Dammit!” I hissed as I repeatedly turned the keys in the ignition. I slammed my hands on the steering wheel and ran a hand through my hair. Great. I’m stuck in the middle of the road while it’s pouring rain and I’m missing the particle accelerator. Suddenly a wave of red and orange started coming towards me. I got out of the car and stared up into the sky, my white shirt and jeans clinging to my body. I let my hair stick to my neck as the rain poured down. I heard a crackle in the sky, all of the lights went out all over Central City. I turned around and felt the lightning strike me before I even saw the flash of yellow.

“What happened to her?” I could hear a male voice faintly ask.

“Struck by lightning,” A female voice replied.

“How is she still alive?”

****

“Clarity?” Barry asked. I whipped my head around, him gaining my attention.

“You okay? I called your name like 20 times,” He told me. I nodded.

“Just remembering something. Um, what were you saying?” I asked, avoiding the topic of that night. He laughed lightly before speaking again.

“Are you ready to go?” I looked at my watch and saw it was 7:30. I nodded and followed him out the lab. When we arrived at Jitters I laughed a little.

“Bringing me to Jitters, huh?” I smiled. Barry laughed a little before nodding.

“Yeah. It’s always been our favorite place.” I nodded in agreement. Jitters had the best hot chocolate in Central City. I think they have the best coffee but I wouldn’t know. I sneeze from the smell and the liquid tastes bitter. I’ve had it before. It sucks. I don’t know how people can’t live without it. I certainly can. Barry and I sat there for a few minutes in silence before Iris walked over to us, sitting next to Barry.

“You guys on a date?” she asked. We both nodded.

“Good. You guys are perfect for each other!” she squealed, forgetting completely about Barry’s feelings for her. Barry reluctantly agreed. I watched as Barry stared at her. He couldn’t take his eyes off of her. I frowned a little, knowing his heart will always be with Iris. I sighed and grabbed my purse, gaining Barry’s attention.

“I’m sorry, Barry. I don’t think this will work. You obviously still love her. I can’t be with someone that doesn’t like me back. Bye, Barry,” I said and walked out of Jitters. I could feel Iris’ gaze burning holes in the back of my head. As I sped home I let the tears flow freely. I can’t have him. I know I can’t. It’s elementary and middle school all over again. I was about to unlock the door the my apartment when someone called out my name.

“Clarity Parker?” A female voice asked. I turned around at my name. I was greeted by a teenager with brown hair and icy blue eyes. I nodded.

“My name is Sara. Sara Parker. I believe you’re my sister.”

****

Sara Parker is played by Alexandra Daddario