Sixty-five

"Ho! Ho! Ho! Has someone requested for Santa Claus in this house?" A familiar voice emerges in the kitchen where Lisa, Mrs. Prescott, Eleanor, and I are busy doing regular chores.

"Malik!" Eleanor abandons the dishes and dries her hands quickly on the apron she's wearing.

"The one and only!" Malik replies vibrantly.

He's carrying a bunch of shopping bags, making his grand entrance in the kitchen with a big Santa hut on his head. Giggling, Lisa takes the bags he's carrying and holds them with difficulty.

"Aunt!" Malik hugs Eleanor with excitement, lifting and twirling her in the process.

"Stop it, you idiot! Put me down!" Eleanor cackles at the gesture.

"Ah, I truly missed you, Aunt! Now that you're here I should probably move to this house until the end of the season," Malik teases and we all laugh at his childishness.

"I missed more, my son! And why not? Get your bags and move here! The house is big enough for everyone," Eleanor encourages him.

Malik winces back. "You mean it?" he asks.

"Totally." Eleanor grins but her face darkens as though she's noticed something strange. "Why have you lost weight?" She carefully inspects her other son.

And that's it. She's truly a mom by nature. I smile softly while pouring mixed spices in the chicken pieces so as to marinate them. I crave some grilled chicken.

Malik chuckles lightly and says, "Maybe I need to eat a lot of that delicious food you make and my lost pounds will be regained in no time."

"That's right," Eleanor says. "I'm here to spoil everyone so brace yourselves, kids. Now tell me about your gorgeous woman—where did you leave her?"

"Um, Roshni?" Malik looks surprised.

I burst into giggles, and so does Mrs. Prescott.

"Yes, do you have another gorgeous woman that I don't know?" Eleanor asks sternly.

We all eye Malik in a similar manner.

"She's in Australia now. With her family," he replies ruefully, his laughter and joy wiped away.

I think he's missing her a lot more than he actually lets on.

"Aw, that's not what I expected at all," Eleanor laments. "Did something happen to her family? I mean, I thought you were going to spend the holiday season together, no?"

Malik sighs heavily. "Yeah, that was the plan. But her brother got sick so she had to return as soon as possible."

He explains in detail and a little moment of sadness engulfs us. However it doesn't last long until he starts regaling us with his jokes once again. In the end, with Malik and Eleanor's presence, the day goes on rather eventfully.

Christmas music becomes a constant melody in the house, and laughter echoes through the thick walls every now and then. We have our lunch outside and we look like a big family. As I witness this warm moment, I realize that this is how a holiday should be spent.

Not alone, but with the people we love.

"Something wrong?" Liam whispers.

"No. Everything's fine," I reply truthfully and suck in a deep breath.

"More chicken?" I grin at him.

"Yes, please," I say and he serves me another drumstick that looks succulent and brown.

"I love your appetite today," he teases.

I frown, teasing him back. "Are you trying to say that I eat too much?"