Forty-six

"Now let's draw your blood sample," says Dr. Adams after applying the disinfectant on my arm. "Relax, Kira. Don't tell me you're afraid of needles." Her light chuckle pulls my faint smile.

"I'm a scared cat when it comes to hospitals and everything involved," I utter, my mind barely on the balance as multiple thoughts keep running through my head.

"Just . . ." Dr. Adams mutters smoothly, and the pungent sensation of the sinking needle urges my eyes to shut briskly. Ouch! "A little tinge and we're done. See? Not even painful." She tugs out the needle with its pipe full of blood.

"Yeah, but I'll never get used to it," I say while pressing the tiny cotton upon her implied instruction. "So, I'm doing an ultrasound, too?" I quiz, watching her place the blood sample secured.

"Yes, Kira. It won't take long, I promise." She smiles brightly and I've got no objection since I'm here this morning for this matter.

Frankly, I'm not sure if what I'm doing right now is considered normal—as Dr. Adams strenuously insists—but I do believe it's the only way for me to find peace that's somehow disturbed ever since Liam brought me here for the pregnancy test.

I need closure.

It's my first time having an ultrasound. I'm lying on the bed, my stomach exposed, and a small catheter is smoothly running over my gel-smeared skin using my Doctor's expert hand. It feels weird, but nothing painful, which is all that matters to me.

Minutes later I'm done and I hardly understood what exactly Dr. Adams has been doing, shifting her eyes between my stomach and the small monitor with the imagery of what I suppose to be my internal reproductive anatomy.

"We're done," Dr. Adams announces when we return to her office. "After twenty-four hours I'll have the results ready. You can come back tomorrow around twelve and get them." She smiles, her fingers interlaced on her desk.

"Okay, Doctor. So . . . that's all?" I ask skeptically, my voice more questioning than the question itself.

I wish I could hear something—just anything to calm my nerves—but I know I have to wait for it until tomorrow. It's nerve-wracking.

"Yes, this is all, Kira," Dr. Adams replies. Seeing my hesitant look, she adds, "And just so you know, it happens that you may have unprotected intercourse for a while and still you may not be pregnant. It's not strange and you're not the first woman to experience it. Take it easy. Calm down, Kira, and let's not get ahead of ourselves."

I don't know what to say, so I just smile and nod my head. I'm so conflicted.

"I'll be here tomorrow." I stand up as I say this. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." Dr. Adams stands up as well, her smile cool.

Something hits the back of my head just as I grab my bag. I realize that I haven't told Liam about the test, and it's something he shouldn't hear from anyone else but me.

"I know this is uncalled for, but in case my husband asks about this, please don't tell him everything," I tell my doctor, who squints her eyes quizzically. "I mean, don't tell him why exactly I was here. I'll do it on my own."

"You have nothing to worry about, Kira," she replies. "Under no circumstance will I reveal this to anyone without your permission."

Hopefully. I smile at her.

Mr. Prescott is napping obliviously inside the car, his head reclined to the side. He looks a bit tired, and the weather is too tempting to ignore the need to sleep. A small smile stretches across my face as I knock gently on the driver side window.