Twenty-four

"Wear something warm and comfortable," Liam instructs. Staring at my dress, a small frown appears on my face. Catching my point, Liam smiles and says, "Just do it, baby, I have plans for us. Besides, you've been walking around in those shoes the entire day, aren't you tired?"

His constant concerns over my well-being make me blush.

"So my fiancé cares about my legs, huh?" I hug him playfully from behind, distracting his attempt to take off the jacket of his sit.

"Of course I do." He spins around with a grin, and then he takes ahold of my waist so that my chest crushes onto his. "I almost joined Kruger on this instant wedding thing today. I'm so eager to marry you." He kisses the tip of my nose.

"Instant wedding?" I burst out laughing. He can be such a clown. "That's a pretty name, I guess. But I'm glad you didn't do it, or else Eleanor would curse us for life."

"Tell me about it." Liam laughs along, and sighs heavily afterwards. "But it was beautiful, and they looked happy," he utters, and it's nothing but the truth.

I bet they're having a blast right now wherever they are. I hug Liam tighter at the thought of my own marriage to come, and the honeymoon, too. I pray to God everything goes as planned.

"So, should I get changed, or continue staying in your arms like this?" I ask in a whisper, running my fingers through Liam's hair.

"I think . . . getting changed will do perfectly well at the moment," he replies.

"Hmm, okay. And where exactly are you taking me?" I pull back to behold his face, my subconscious as curious as I am.

We're having a date, damn it! It's always exciting going places with Mr. Intense—near or far.

"Surprise, Ms. Jones. Surprise," Liam whispers, kissing me on the cheek. I purse my lips at him, and he laughs softly. "Now get out of my arms before I rip your pretty dress off.

"Liam!" I chuckle, for my sex goddess doesn't seem appalled at the idea. "You're right, though. Let me change before I rip your shirt off!" I return and collective laughter fills our private chamber.

I slip into a blue skinny jeans and warm, oversized crotchet sweater in baby pink. Per Liam's demand, that I need my feet relaxed, I wear some white espadrilles that feel more like socks. Liam gives me a smile of approval right away.

"That's good. And you're still hot, Mrs. Darcy," he says ingenuously.

Such a fastidious man! I grin at him, or more at the way he's addressed me.

"Thank you, Mr. Darcy. Shall we?"

"By all means." He takes my hand and together we head toward the exit.

Outside the hotel, a black Mercedes Benz is on the wait. My, oh my! My eyes are filled with both bemusement and excitement; not knowing where exactly we're heading. Asking for information is no longer a trick as far as Liam's surprise is concerned.

We slip into the backseat and the engine starts. Automatically I lay my head on Liam's shoulder. He glances at me but stays taciturn after a brief smile.  Silently we slide deeper into the strip. This city indeed doesn't sleep, and the night feels more like a day: so shiny, so hectic, yet so relaxing.

"What are you thinking of?" Liam interrupts my reverie.

I release a soundless sigh. "How amazing this place is," I reply with a smile, eyes transfixed by the shimmering surrounding outside, every building flashy, each billboard oozing with beaming colors and lights. "But still, I want to be at home." I let out my inner thoughts.