Forty-three

The afternoon has finally worn off after our trip to the hospital. It's been forever since Liam entered the bathroom for a shower, however, and I'm bored to death waiting for him to get out. Gently I abandon my book, step out of bed, and tiptoe through the sleek wooden floor heading to the bathroom.

"May I come in?" I pop my head through the half-open door.

"Do you really need my permission? Come in," Liam replies coolly. He's standing shirtless in front of a walnut vanity, a huge mirror with tiny halogens reflecting his splendid body.

Damn. He's wearing grey gym shorts that are hanging dangerously on his waist.

The bathroom is spacious and neat. An oval shaped bathtub, toilet, and a glass shower cubicle make it up, mostly. I stand taciturn beside Liam, watching his gracious moves as he shaves his beard, carefully sliding the machine through the shaving cream.

"You miss me?" he mutters, eyes on the mirror.

"Well, I do. I'm bored, tired of reading Jane Eyre for God-knows how many times now." I sigh.

"Brontë?" Liam smiles.

"Yeah." I jump swiftly on the vanity table and take a seat. "I found it in the library and I was impressed with how many books you've collected. Anyways, I didn't know you're busy amplifying your handsomeness here. Lucky me." I like the sight of him shaving, his glorious upper body out in the open for me.

"Lucky you, indeed. Why? Do you have something interesting planned for me?" With difficulty, Liam glances at me

"My ability to plan is seldom used, Mr. Darcy. I strive for surprises which are more appealing, in my honest opinion. But since you're asking, we can try something planned—with all juiciness guaranteed."

"No. Not my style, Mrs. Darcy." Liam shakes his head wistfully, grinning. "But I love the juicy part."

"Oh, is that so?" I inhale the scent of his woodsy aftershave I just grabbed from the table. "Do you need help? Seeing you shaving reminds me of my Dad. I loved helping him. Well, I won't cut you, I promise."

Liam flinches. "Now, that is a bit alarming, Kira. The last thing I want is a cut on my face."

"Oh, come on! I only cut him once, and it's because I was a newbie," I defend myself, and Liam's stare is wry. "Okay, fine. Forget it."

We share a laugh.

"Next time I'll let you, but not today. I'm almost done." He grabs a towel and uses it to wipe off the cream.

I sigh heavily, watching his glorious biceps moving gaily.

"Well, I was thinking of inviting Malik and Roshni for lunch tomorrow," I say tentatively after a short silence.

"And?" Liam asks.

"And . . . I'm trying to ask for your permission, maybe? Is it okay, Sire?" I'm afraid to impose. Liam chuckles lightly. I frown. "So I've turned into a clown now, huh? Where is my red nose?"

"It's okay, Kira." He presses a finger on the silver faucet and the water pours gently into an immaculate sink. "You can invite them. They are your friends as well, and this is your house, too. However, I'd really prefer to have you for myself tomorrow. I'm a selfish man, you know?" His loop-sided smile turns boyish and playful.

I flush. I love it when he's out of his barricades—acting all naughty. He still fascinates me that he can be both a gentleman and a bad boy.

"Selfish? Yes, a little. But I love it." I swing my legs childishly.

"How about the day after tomorrow? You can invite Roshni for the whole day, and I'll come with Malik after work and we can have dinner together."

"Um, that sounds greater. I'll do that." I accept the arrangement wholeheartedly.