Thirteen

The sun has already gone into a slumber as we walk inside the bar. Between talking and laughing we earn ourselves some attention from the few people seated in the booths, for the place is a bit calmer than I'd probably prefer. It's a third bar, actually. We've tried two, but the noise was too much.

"I think I like this one," Sam says. Roshni and I take a deep breath of relief, for she's the one who kept refusing the other two places saying she doesn't want to hear loud music.

Which is a first, given the Sam I know and her love for heavy music.

And well, we couldn't find Liam and Malik so I think I'm done with this.

"I need a drink." I lead the way toward the counter.

"Okay. Let's have a cocktail first. No adventure goes so dryly," Sam replies, following suit. How sarcastic! "Although I have a feeling that a bottle of whisky in this place is worth my child's education."

"Oh God!" I laugh loudly, and so does Roshni. "We'll see," I mutter as I take in the beautiful interior of the place.

It's quite exorbitant, furnished in black and gold like a royal chamber full of expensive liquor and respectable looking people. In the background Adele is singing Hello in her beautiful, rich voice—a very pacifying melody.

"Hey, handsome. Can I have a Bloody Mary with a very tiny drop of Vodka?" Sam takes a seat on the stool.

"Sure thing, beautiful." The bartender, a slim brunette with a flashy smile, beams at her while drying a glass.

"Sam, you can't drink alcohol," I interject.

"Chill out, Kira Jones. I said a tiny drop of Vodka, not plenty! Hello! Aren't you supposed to be the English teacher here?" Sam retorts, rolling her eyes.

"Okay, sure. As you wish, ma'am." I plop into my seat, tired of other's mess while I'm having one of my own in the head. "Cosmopolitan, please," I utter softly, eyes on the smiling brunette.

"That's it." Sam grins and I just sigh again.

What a day we've had.

"And you, gorgeous?" The bartender asks Roshni, who's now taking a seat beside me.

"Um, me? I guess Apple Martini will do," she replies.

Everything feels relaxing but I'm far from being calm. Why can't I stop thinking of Liam? Why do I feel restless about this whole silence from him? Is he okay? Of course he is, or else we'd have heard from Malik.

"I think I'm hungry," Sam murmurs but I hardly pay attention.

"Again?" Roshni chuckles. They're both holding their mobiles, eyes on their bright screens.

"Is there another lounge in this place?" I ask the bartender upon seeing a staircase leading to another floor, a couple coming down through it.

"Yes, there's another one upstairs," the bartender replies, his artistic hands busy mixing the drinks. He's swift, a clear sign of myriad repetition in everything he's doing. "Would you like to take a peek? It's super cool and a little private."

"Yes, please," I reply and get up.

Frowning, Roshni asks, "Are you going to search for them once again?"

"Not really. I'm just checking," I answer and deep inside I know I'm not being honest.

This is the last nearest bar to the hotel. If Liam and Malik are not here then it means they're very far from here.

"Oh, you're really at it, girl. Good luck with that." Sam raises her glass at me, cajoling me.

Ignoring my best friend, I take a set of clean stairs that lead to the second lounge. Again I try to reach Liam on the phone without any luck.