Six

Liam starts with the riding gear. With clear demonstration he teaches me how and where to put the girth, the bridle, and the saddle, which are more like the interiors of a car.

"It's important making sure each is well fastened," Liam says as I do it on my own. "Yes, like that! You're a good student, Ms. Jones."

"Really?" I'm ecstatic.

Liam smiles. "Yes, absolutely. Now, you can mount the horse, but make sure—"

"To use the left side," I finish for him, and we both laugh. I love this. "Okay, let me do it on my own."

"Okay. Be careful." Liam steps aside, crossing his arms on the chest as he watches me attentively.

Taking a deep sigh, I rub my palms together and near the horse. I smile excitedly as my gaze meets Liam's. He smiles back. I slowly put my foot on the stirrup and swiftly rise up on the straddle. My smile gets bigger at the feeling of being on the top, all by herself.

"Well done," Liam remarks, and I'm too busy with the horse.

"This is amazing!" I scream gleefully, trying to firm my balance somehow. Liam chuckles delightfully. "What next?" I ask, but to my surprise Liam strides closer as though he wants to join me. "What are you doing? I thought—"

"I can't let you do it on your own without mastering all the basics," Liam says. "The reins are like your steering wheel. You command the horse using these and a little pressure of your leg against her body. To commence, you gently pull them backward, like this." Seated behind me, he pulls the reins and the horse starts moving.

"Woah!" I gasp, eyes gleaming.

Liam smiles fondly. "If you want to turn right, you pull the right rein while pressing on your left leg," he instructs, and I watch with amazement as he does it. "The opposite applies for the left turn. Gently, Kira—don't forget that," he insists.

A short joyride follows while laughing from time to time. I can't stop bugging him to let me ride on my own, however, and he keeps teasing my flawed ability to control the horse. Jeez, I'm just a student here. Can't he tell?

"How can you know that I've understood my lesson if you don't let me try, Liam," I scold him.

"Okay, I'll let you do it," he gives in, his laughter amused.

Riding a horse has been one of my little dreams so I can't wait to eventually live it. I hold the reins and follow every instruction I've been given. The horse keeps moving gently, and my body hovers per her moves. Woah! I love it.

"So how do we stop?" I ask Liam.

"Pull back, just as we started," Liam replies. I do as I'm told, and gently the horse takes a halt.

"Wow!" I'm awed.

"Good, girl. Now I'm positive you can do it." Just like that, Liam jumps off, leaving me by myself. "Be careful," he warns.

"I am. How grouchy." I chuckle softly, finding my ride lighter upon Liam's absence. I start over with a big smile and in a minute the horse begins walking once again. "There, beauty, you're the good girl. What's her name again?" I glance at Liam, who's tentatively watching me.

"She's still nameless. You can name her yourself," Liam replies.

"Oh! Let's see," I say thoughtfully. "How about Summer? We met in summer, right?" I grin at Liam while enjoying the breeze slapping my face soothingly.

I feel in heaven right now.

"Yeah, baby, whatever you want." Liam shrugs.

"Or maybe . . . Autumn. We're surrounded by autumn right now. Tell me, big girl, which name do you like, huh? Autumn or Summer?" I lean over toward the horse's head, smiling joyously.