Twenty-seven

"Who says they'll be a wedding without the maid of honor, huh?"

Roshni and I glance toward the door and break into big smiles.

"You're back!" I squeal at the top of my lungs, ignoring the lady who's been doing my nails since forever.

"Of course I am. And I'm so ready to rock it!" Sam says cheerily, her face happy and bright.

I believe marriage life has started on the right foot for her, and it's all I need.

"We missed you," Roshni states, her face covered with a black mask. She's lying lazily on the lounge couch.

We've been enjoying the indoor spa for two hours now. The hotel room is splendid, and Eleanor made sure that I don't move a muscle out of it by bringing every service I require for my looks.

"Me not much, honestly speaking," Sam replies while shrugging off her denim jacket, revealing a little top dress she's wearing.

Her sun-lit skin looks radiant even without makeup on her face. Maybe pregnancy does wonders, too, putting the marriage aside.

"How can you miss us when you were having a mouthful in the name of your honeymoon?" I mock, eyes on the shining stuff the lady is putting in my nails.

She knows what she's doing, that's for sure.

Rolling her eyes, Sam drops on the sofa. "Well, it'll be your turn pretty soon," she says. I just smile at the thought. "Hi, Eleanor." She waves at my mother-in-law.

"Hi," Eleanor mouths, a bright smile on her face. Having a phone call, she's been pacing near the large window, eyes outside. Into the phone she says, "Okay, Grace. The rest I'm leaving to you. Please, don't let me down, I'm begging you."

I sigh softly. There's nothing that can express my gratitude for the way she's been handling things with utmost care and importance. It melts my heart.

"So, how is everything going?" Sam asks and we begin talking about my wedding preparations.

Thankfully everything is proceeding well—maybe better than I hoped.

"Ricardo will be here soon, Kira. He wants to make sure you're completely okay with the new dress," Eleanor informs me after finishing a call with Grace, who's currently in the ranch.

"A new dress? What happened to the other one?" Sam asks, busy pulling a bowl of strawberries closer to her.

"Kira wants it simple, not a royal-like dress," Eleanor replies laughingly.

I flush, a bit embarrassed for such an inconvenience.

"Yeah, she doesn't want to look like Cinderella," Roshni teases.

"Oh," Sam mutters. "But you looked great, Kiki. What's wrong with the Cinderella one? Afraid to lose one shoe?"

Well, I felt like a prisoner in my own dress. I'm not sure if I can last one hour wearing something as heavy as that dress.

"No worries, honey. All I want is for you to enjoy your day while feeling comfortable." Eleanor smiles reassuringly upon my silence.

"Thanks." I'm very grateful for her love and understanding.

Eleanor's phone buzzes again, interrupting this little chat. "It's Ricky. I'll be back, girls," she says in a frenzy, and then picks the call while heading toward the door.

When the saloon staff leave, I finally decide to quench my curiosity regarding Sam's honeymoon. According to her, everything went spectacularly, except the fact that Jonathan's mother threw a grand tantrum after hearing the news.