Fifty-one

Liam is back from the office but I'm not ready to go. I've been pacing around the bedrooms, to and from the bathroom, in and out of the dressing room. Liam complains about my flawed punctuality, but hey, I'm just a woman and a woman needs time getting ready for the party. 

"Women!" Liam sighs dramatically as I walk past him wearing a towel. "Are we going to leave anytime soon?" he asks.

He's showered, already dressed in a white button-up shirt, blue jeans, and a black blazer. He looks simple and elegant, a white gold watch matching his stunning wedding band as he brushes his hair. 

Well, I could ogle my husband the whole night long, but I gotta hurry. 

"Don't worry, Mr. Grumpy. Just five minutes and I'll be done," I tell him while fetching my satin bodycon dress laying on the bed. 

I know it won't take long since I'm done with makeup—the hardest part of feminine art of dressing up—which leaves me with just a simple task of putting on the dress and shoes. Knowing that it's already seven, I hurry up and put the clothes on.

Moments later I see Liam standing at the doorway, gawking. I'm fully dressed, my hair tied up tightly to enhance my facial features and the dangling earrings. The sequin bodycon champagne dress is floor-length, and I feel great pairing it with gold heels. 

"Wow,"Liam breathes, his twinkling filled with veneering gleam as he beholds me. "You are . . . Stunning, Mrs. Darcy. So very stunning." He doesn't move, his smile sweet and inviting.

"Thank you," I reply, a smile on my pink-painted lips. "I guess we're good to go now?" 

"Are you sure?" Liam asks, for he knows how much I love forgetting last minute details. 

"Oh, my clutch." I grin, and he rolls his eyes. "And . . . what else?" I grab my gold clutch and I believe I'm done this time.

I mean, maybe just a sprinkle of my perfume and I'll be really done. 

"Alright, let's go," Liam urges before I come up with another story.

"So, you said it's the launch of a jewelry brand?" I ask Liam as we head downstairs.

"Yeah. It's a friend's company," he answers.

"Okay." I keep my mouth shut until we climb inside the car, in which Liam drives himself. "I need to tell you something tonight," I whisper.

"What is it?" Liam responds quickly, confusion evident on his face.

"Um, just some couple talk," I say gently, fear engulfing my voice as I don't know how he's going to take the news. 

"Can't you do it now?" Liam inquires.

"No, I'd rather do it later." 

Silence fills the air, and I know it's going to be more of a storm when the moment arrives. I have to be ready for anything.

"Okay," he finally acquisces.

The small ballroom doors of a hotel are open when we finally arrive, my arm linked intimately by my husband's. I feel a little nervous and out of place, given that it's our first public appearance to his business peers, but his warm smile emboldens me.

The decors are nothing but ravish. Glass cabinets are showcased with different designs of precious jewels: necklaces, earrings, and bracelets, among others. There are plenty of people, well dressed and fancy, drinking and talking. 

My eyes flash with excitement when I spot Malik and Roshni. They're here, laughing together while grabbing their drinks from a fountain of champagne flutes. Roshni is wearing a gorgeous emerald green dress, and Malik in a simple black and grey tux.