one

sism: noun; extraordinary determination in the face of adversity

IVY
-

People often describe drowning as peaceful, others may say the opposite, They say the instinct to not breathe underwater, outweighs the fear of running out of air. They say on the first involuntary  breath, most people are conscious.

You panic.

You lose control.

And I realize now that I must be drowning,
because I can't quite remember the last time I took a breath that didn't hurt to take.

My dad ruffled my hair as he paced around my room. He threw a sock at me and snickered, I scowled at him as I picked the sock off my face. Shoving my last shirt in my bag I sighed and attempted to close the zipper. Realizing I was not strong enough, I smiled at my dad. Who in response groaned, he walked over to my overstuffed bag and pulled as hard as he could.

Finally closing it he looked at me with a smile, "Your last year, wow"

I laughed and sat down next to my bag, "Just my last year attending, I'll be back" I grabbed my pillow and placed it on my lap. Smoothing out the pillow I ran my fingers along the green stitching, watching as my dad puttered around my cramped room.

"That's IF you get the job as counsellor kiddo," He said mockingly, I rolled my eyes in response.

"I know I'll get the job, they love me!" I said with a large grin plastered across my face.

"Got everything?" My dad asked me, I nodded in response.

He ran down the made up check list in his head, a common tradition the day of camp.

"Underwear"

"Yup"

"Bug spray"

"Yup"

"Condo-"

"For the last time, I'm not going to get pregnant at camp!" I half yelled.

My dad looked at me with a grin, "Just being safe, wouldn't hurt to bring a few"

I groaned once more at his remark.

"Make sure to bring extra sunscreen" My mum yelled from the kitchen, the clinging and clanging of pots nearly drowning her soft voice out.

"Will do!" I yelled back.

"We gotta get on the road soon, wouldn't want us to miss orientation," My dad said enthusiastically, swinging his car keys around his finger, I watched as they jingled slightly.

Focussing my gaze back on my dad I stood up. Grabbing my coat and shoes I turned off my light. I took one last look at my bedroom, smiling I shut my blinds and left. My mum walked over to me, shuffling her feet against the hardwood floor. She kissed my head and looked into my eyes, "have fun lovebug" she said smiling.