nineteen

Saudade; noun; a deep emotional state of nostalgic or profound melancholic longing for an absent something or someone that one cares for and/or loves

IVY
-

"You want to get to know me?" I said, laughing awkwardly into my words.

"Yeah. I do." He replied confidently, not an ounce of nervousness evident.

I tilted my head back slightly in surprise. "Even after what happened tonight? That was pretty gross." I said, scrunching my nose slightly.

"What happened earlier?" He said, a grin following.

"Don't look too happy, I know one day you're going to bite me in the butt with that memory." I replied quickly. It felt as though no matter what, someone would hold a secret against you eventually.

"And why would I ever do that."

"Why wouldn't you?"

He raised his eyebrows. "Fair point."

"Those are my speciality." I quipped.

Lee was next to me, her face the dock as she lay out in the sun. Both her and Leo had persuaded me to chill out in the sun for awhile, Robyn was busy with his community hours and I couldn't bother asking where Reece was.

Not after what happened just the day before. No matter what he promised, embarrassment would always be there.

I had left right after the last words were spoken, only to return to a sleepless night once again. Just a few hours was all I needed to get through the day, and naps would have to suffice.

Lee came back worried for me, along with an ice tea and a pretty shell. Both making me smile for a long time. I added the shell to the edge of my bed, along with the piece of sea glass I had taken from the beach a couple days prior.

I told Lee I felt sick and ended up not making it to the bonfire, only partially a lie.

The sun was high in the sky as the soft chiming of birds and the oceans wake filled the open air.

"God I had an awful sleep last night." Lee spoke through a yawn, she pressed her face into her towel, groaning in a sleepy trance. "You'd think those crickets would get a memo and shut up by now." She added on, a mere muffle.

"I don't think crickets know what a memo is to begin with." I replied, sinking my own face into the towel beneath me.

"Was I supposed to laugh?" She joked.

"Would've helped, yeah." I chuckled, rolling over to face her.

I grabbed the random book I had laid next to me, practically forcing myself to open it up and read it.