twenty nine

ludic;adj; full of fun and high spirits

IVY
-

"Fuck-, Shit- I'm running out of swear words to explain the amount of discomfort I'm in," I said as I dipped my toe in the frigid water that spilled over the smooth rocks. The waves retreated from the shore, the wind pricking my skin.

Reece was already halfway in, his shirt had been pulled over his head revealing his abdomen. It felt wrong to even look at him, shameful even. But I loved his shoulders and his collarbones and the light freckles that dusted his back.

"It's not that bad once you get in!" Reece said laughing softly as he walked further into the water.

"Shut up, have some empathy" I yelled out, shivering as I wrapped my arms around my body.

"Empathy is my middle name." He shouted, a slight shiver evident in his words.

"In your indie dreams." I chuckled.

I was in a very oversized grey t-shirt, courtesy of my father as always. I still wore my small jean shorts, there was no way I was taking those off.

Although I couldn't say the same for Reece who was now submerged in the deep water in nothing but basketball shorts, or whatever you call men's fashion choices these days.

"Oh come on, you're not scared of water are you?" He taunted me.

"Speak one more word and the only thing cold will be your body, in a morgue"

And then I realized that was his goal all along.

Oops.

"Fiesty aren't we? Just strip down and get in"

"I'm not going to 'strip down' especially not here, especially not with you," I said loud enough for him to hear over the crashing waves.

"Suits me, guess you'll just have to sit alone, on a dark, mysterious beach, where you could very well go missing-" He rambled on, putting on a fake narrator voice as he spoke.

"Fine! I'll come in, just be quiet!" I said growling.

God the things I do for this man.

I slowly unbuttoned my shorts, sliding them down my legs hoping that my t-shirt covered me.

"You could be quicker you know" He called out, his voice sounded shallow as the waves almost drowned out his taunting words.

I groaned, already annoyed at him.

How could he just tell me all that and then want to go swimming? How would we just kiss and pretend nothing ever happened?

This was nothing like those romance books I read, and I wondered why I hate books.

Feelings were not this complicated in paperbacks.

I chucked my shorts behind me, hoping they'd land somewhere dry and safe.