twenty four

opia: the ambiguous intensity of looking someone in the eye

IVY
-

As I paced around in circles, the dirt kicking up onto the toes of my converse, I couldn't help but wonder how many times i'd have to walk in a circle for Reece to show up. Pacing always works in movies.

I was at the log, our spot, the spot we stargazed at, the spot where I laughed at his stupid comments. As I walked around in circles, I watched my feet. The wind formed around me, making a small tornado of nervousness.

I couldn't stop thinking about the two of them, leaning against that wall together. Maybe they hoped no one would see them, maybe they hoped I wouldn't see them.

I hated Mae.

Hate was a strong word, but definitely the right one in this context.

I felt like an idiot, for pretending like I had any say in who he talks to. I cant control him, we barely know each other, hell I forget his last name at this point. But something inside of me raged when I saw the look he was giving her, that look of curiosity and intrigue. It was as if I forgot that he wasn't mine to look at in that way.

She was a liar, a liar for telling me that she wanted nothing to do with them, a liar for telling me she loved me.

I waited for him, I waited hoping that he'd come and I could talk to him, apologize even. I wanted to say something about my unnecessary outburst.

Soon I was bored of circling around, dizziness was also a factor. So I climbed up the hill and sat down, my feet dangling in front of me. It was almost weird being here alone, as if it was meant to be shared with someone.

Then as soon as my eyes began to close a rustling noise came from behind a large tree, the large shadow appearing slowly.

He walked over to the hill, climbing it with ease. He sat down next to me, his body warmth immediately reaching me.

I didn't quite know what to say, what he would say even.

"You first?" He said, not bothering to look at me.

"Jumping or talking?" I joked, trying to lighten the mood.

His voice was hushed. "Your pick."

"Why do we keep doing this Reece?" I finally said after moments of pure silence.

It was odd to me, the nights we shared. Exchanging short glances that lead to longer stares, laughing and talking as if our time was limited. I liked it, being out there with just him. It was our own secret world, my own at least, where I could be anyone but Ivy.

And I ruined it.

"I could ask you the same thing" He said, his words seeming like small whispers.

"You never give a direct answer do you?" I ask him, slightly sitting up so that i can look his face.