fourteen

irenic; adj; promoting peace

IVY
-

"Stop moving, you're going to be okay" A rushed voice filled my empty head, beeping and yelling surrounded the frantic noise. A heavy hand grabbed my shoulder, lifting me upright to sit against the cold wall. A sense of fear and uncertainty flashed through my body, dotting goosebumps on my arms.

I watched as people flooded my house, the windows wide open, wind flowing through them. Footsteps echoed down the old wooden stairs, the rush of paramedics harsher than ever.

I could hear the rattle of plates in that old cabinet that never really seemed to close. Gusts of wind blew through the open doors, scattering mail and papers on the wooden floor.

I could feel myself breathing, shallow breaths, but still breathing. My heart started to beat slower and slower, my pulse lowering as I barely sat up against the wall. My hands felt numb as I traced my sleepless face.

A sickening feeling grew right around my throat, a sour taste dripping from my tongue.

Screams were next, the hallowing shriek of my mother, clear as day. More noise, beeping and shouting, cars rushing by. A red light blared into my eyes.

Blank.

A steady grasp now held me tight, two hands on my shoulders shaking jolted me awake. My breath was fast and unsteady, a pattern like no other.

Shivers filled my body, rippling like water on a stormy night.

I gasped as I lifted my shaking body from my bed, My mind running at a thousand times its original pace. I felt my surroundings, I was safe, I was there in my cabin at summer camp. The camp my parents had sent me off to just a week ago, a camp where my friends didn't even talk to me. A camp where I could no longer tell whether I was dreaming or not.

Not again, this can't be happening.

I gasped once more, feeling the pressure from my once sore throat

Lee was standing on my ladder, her arms gently placed on my shoulders as she stared at me. I turned my head to hers, locking eyes as I did so.

"You're okay," Her calming voice said as she let go of my shoulders, I sat up, still in my bed, my breathing shallow and slow.

"Am I?" I said frantically, my breathing slowly returning to normal.

"Everyone's at breakfast, I didn't want to scare you by waking you up, but you kinda fucking scared me," Lee said, laughing through her words.

I chuckled to hide the discomfort I was feeling.

I thought they stopped, they have to stop, the nightmares. I haven't had one since, well, seems like forever. Why are they happening now? I needed to call my parents, as much as they'd freak out. No, I couldn't do that, they'd make me come home, make me leave everyone.