thirty six

melorism;noun; the belief that the world gets better; the belief that humans can improve the world

IVY
-

The next few days were filled with stolen kisses and touch that begged for more. It was thrilling, exciting, brand new. Having someone like that, connecting with someone like that, is rare, but we just did, and it was the best feeling on the planet. We spent our days with our friends, laughing and not hiding our affection. I hated PDA, and so did Reece, so it was concealed behind backs and fingers were interlocked under towels.

I was on cloud nine, completely oblivious to anything but those new found feelings.

So I ignored the signs, including the obvious ones. I bit around them like a bruise on an apple, pretending they never existed. I ignored the sudden distance, and the lack of depth in his eyes. I ignored the guilt stricken expressions I would catch when he wasn't paying attention.

Or perhaps I didn't ignore it, maybe deep down I saw those guilt stricken eyes and that apologetic glare, maybe I saw them all and forced myself to ignore them.

To this day I have no clue.

It went on for days, days which to me seemed like perfection. And for once in my life, i'd didn't feel bad about being who I was, I didn't think about life back home or my sister at all. I didn't think about how I hadn't called my parents like they had told me to, or the fact that I was so behind on college applications I might as well not even go. 

It was what i'd dreamed about ever since my 13th birthday, to be a real teenager, whatever that entails. I had never had friends like that before, not ones that knew me deep down and through every little moment. Not ones that made me laugh and genuinely cared for my well-being. I had friends back home, but not the ones that lasted throughout college, not the ones that would show up at my wedding in 10 years or send me flowers on my birthdays.

It felt like a shift in my life, a new me was forming.

Someone who wasn't afraid to put myself out there, someone who wasn't afraid to leave the comfort of my home.

I know that love or even infatuation can't heal things deep down, but in moments it can drown it out.

Those days were bliss. Pure teenage bliss.

Then that one night happened.

We were together on the log, this time, our bodies leaning on each other as we sat close.

It seemed that neither of us had anything to say, or even if we did, no one spoke a word.

It was harder to get to know someone when you're out of your element. You can't show them your bedroom, or let them meet your pet. But I suppose those things aren't really you to begin with, just the things that reflect who you really are. Words were more intimate, but harder to come by.