sixteen

Ephemeral; adj; lasting for a very short time

IVY
-

Not yet satisfied with the length of our trip we decided to anchor on the shore, with no concept of time I felt like the whole world was ours.

Frankly, I loved the routine of school life, the way that my day was always the same. But something about having nothing to do for days upon end seemed more like a dream than a reality.

The land was untouched, trees overgrown on the beach and millions of seashells stacked upon each other. I wondered how long the trees above us had been here for, the memories and sights they must have.

The sky was clear and full of stars, I couldn't stop staring at them as we climbed out of the boat. Something about them was so compelling and bright.

I kicked off my slides as I climbed up the stairs. I stepped onto the seat, feeling the cold leather beneath me. But before I could attempt to jump off into the freezing water below, a hand in front of me guided me down.

Cold rings pressed onto my fingers, immediately I knew who it was.

And I hated the shivers they sent throughout my body, because I knew my body was beginning to like his touch.

Reece stood in the water, his other hand grabbing Lee as she climbed down the side.

My stomach twisted as he held me tighter, making sure I didn't fall as my feet finally dipped into the ice-cold water.

"Holy fuck that is freezing!" Lee said, Robyn, laughed as he walked up the rocky shore. Reece followed him quickly, making his way behind the large pine trees that bordered the beach.

I stared at them as they disappeared behind the blanket of green.

It always seemed special living on the west coast, of course we didn't have the blazing heat of the south or the Atlantic ocean of the east, but the trees and mountainscapes made up for that. I appreciated the rain and the snow and the freezing winters, as much as I detested them in the moment. Something about the forests felt so free, so open and vast and full of stories and hope.

"You good? Seem a little distracted there girl" Lee said, nudging me.

I suppose she was right, this trip had never felt this full of life before. In past times i'd only as far as the beach, never seeing past the border of trees that surrounded the camp. My mind was overwhelmed with all these new experiences and feelings.

"Cmon I know you like him, it's obvious in the way he stares at you and the way you stare at him"

"What?" I said, shaking my head to try and figure out what the fuck she was babbling about."

"I can practically feel the sexual tension," She said excitedly like this was some joke.

Ew, What?

I was practically freaking out now, internally of course. She had to be talking about Reece, surely I wasn't that obvious was I?