s e v e n t y - t w o 💛

As Aria and Draco paced up the stairs towards another Hogwarts tower, Draco ran his hand through his hair. His eyebrows creased together, as his grey eyes scanned over the fields far below the castle. 

Hogwarts really didn't feel like Hogwarts anymore. 

A place that had once been meant to be so safe, so secure, was now a complete warzone. 

The two of them stood watching over the battle for a short while, but soon ducked down behind one of the walls when they heard footsteps nearby. 

Aria glanced towards Draco momentarily to check that he was alright. His jaw twitched. He evidently was on edge but Aria knew that wasn't exactly surprising. 

"Draco, honey, you don't need to hide. It's just me," sounded the voice of Draco's mother. "I want to do whatever I can to help, Draco." 

"Why should I believe that now?" he asked, as his lips formed a hard line. 

Aria's eyes flashed between the two of them with some concern visible in them. 

"Believe me...I never wanted things to go this far, Draco. After Bella became a Death Eater, I vowed to do everything that I could to keep my family from following the same path but then, when I met your father, obviously things changed, I-" 

"Save it. I admire you for doing what you could to keep me alive, mother but...I can't do that anymore. I can't fight on the side that is killing my friends, my-" Draco's eyes locked with Aria's for a second but he didn't say anything more. "I don't want to cut you off, mother. I just don't want to be a pawn in my father's game anymore. In Voldemort's game. I want out." 

Narcissa gave an understanding nod of her head at Draco's words, but her expression remained serious. 

"Draco, I don't want to lose you. You're my son. You will always come first," Narcissa said. 

Draco released a deep breath then, before stepping forward to bring his mother into a hug. 

"It's okay. We'll get out of this," he said, with an expression of determination upon his face. "I won't be able to sleep, until I know that Potter and all of his friends are out of harm's way." 

Aria's eyes flashed with admiration, as a small smile played at her lips. 

"Thank you, Mrs. Malfoy," Aria said, as she turned to face Narcissa. 

Narcissa turned to look at her and smiled, too. 

"It's alright. Is there anything that I can do to help?" she asked. 

"We just need you to keep safe. Keep attacking the Death Eaters from as far back as possible. If they see you, then we'll be in trouble," Draco said, with authority in his tone. "If they see you, then they'll know about our betrayal. Nothing is more dangerous than that." 

"Apart from losing Harry," Aria said quietly. 

Draco looked towards her and lifted an eyebrow. 

"What? I'm just saying. We don't know what's going to happen to him," she said. 

Draco exhaled in concern. It always seemed as though Harry Potter had to create some kind of trouble for them all. Every year of Hogwarts, every moment, had been building towards all of this. 

"I have an idea. I'll go to the forest," Narcissa said. "I'll go there and then I'll be able to...try and help Harry. Somehow." 

As he ran a hand through his hair, Draco mumbled something under his breath. He didn't seem entirely excited about this whole idea, but he knew that it was worth a shot. 

They had lost Snape. His mother was the next best spy they had. 

"I respect you for helping us out," Aria said, as she met Narcissa's gaze. 

"I have to do whatever it takes to look out for Draco, you must know that. Both of you," she said, as her eyes warmed. She looked between the two of them with an expression of dedication upon her face. 

In that moment, Draco understood where all of his determination came from. It wasn't from his father at all. His father was a coward. Narcissa was the real strength of their family. Draco realised then and there that she had been fighting for him for his entire life. He had to do whatever he could to make sure she was safe, too. 

"Go to the forest but please be careful," Draco said, with a nervous edge to his voice. "We'll find my father. You need to go." 

Narcissa pecked Draco's cheek gently before turning and heading in the direction of the Forbidden Forest. 

In the meantime, Draco turned back to Aria with a concerned expression upon his features. 

"Ready to go?" Aria asked him. 

"As ready as I'll ever be," Draco replied, as he swallowed. He was about to face his father for real, this time around. It was sort of a big deal. 

Draco and Aria made their way down from the tower and out into the main courtyard. They hadn't been there for long before they discovered Bellatrix's unconscious body on the cold, hard ground. Dead. 

The two of them didn't even make a second glance, as they sped on ahead. They had a goal in mind. They knew that they needed to accomplish it as soon as possible. 

Lucius Malfoy was a key piece in all of this. He had murdered countless wizards in this battle. 

Draco knew that he wasn't about to let Aria be added to those numbers. 

They walked on until they had to come to an abrupt stop because ahead of them, stood on the courtyard in his black robes, was Lucius Malfoy. 

As he heard Draco's and Aria's footsteps, he turned around to face them. 

"Draco," Malfoy said. 

"Father," Draco replied, "If I can call you that. It's time to end this, Lucius." 

Lucius' eyes flickered with alarm at his son's words. 

"Now, now, Draco. Calm down. Put your wand away. You don't know what you're-" 

He cut off then as Draco exclaimed, "Stupefy!", sending Malfoy flying backwards.

Aria's and Draco's eyes followed him for a short while, only to watch as Lucius fell into the open mouth of Nagini, and he was promptly swallowed whole.  

Dead.