Chapter 77

Lisa tilted her head up and connected her mouth with Chaeyoung’s in a silent acknowledgement of her words, her soft lips pressing gently against the flesh of her girlfriend’s in a delicate kiss. Chaeyoung tightened her hold around Lisa’s frame in response, pulling the younger girl in to her further so that their hips were pressed together, the contours of each other’s torsos moulding to one another as though they were two adjoining pieces of a puzzle. Lisa’s right hand moved up to the back of Chaeyoung’s neck as she deepened the kiss, her tongue finding the familiar depths of the taller girl’s mouth, her fingers entangling themselves in the hair at Chaeyoung’s nape. She twisted the silky strands around her fingertips deliberately and the gesture sent a shiver down Chaeyoung’s spine, making her skin tingle with pleasure as Lisa’ digits unintentionally swept across it.

Chaeyoung’s breath caught in the back of her throat as Lisa’s left hand grazed a nimble path up her right arm to settle on her shoulder, the faint touch more than enough to make her skin burn in its wake despite how brief the contact had been. Lisa lifted it quickly to cup Chaeyoung’s cheek, her thumb stroking her girlfriend’s features soothingly as she leant in to the embrace further, her whole body pressing in to the taller girl so firmly and deliberately that Chaeyoung had to take a step backwards in order to keep her balance. Chaeyoung felt the small smile that formed on Lisa’s lips in response to her sudden movement and the taste of it made the muscles of her own mouth twitch until it’d unconsciously curved up similarly. Lisa’s left hand moved around to join the right hand which was still playing with the hair at the back of Chaeyoung’s neck and she sucked lightly on Chaeyoung’s lower lip as she leant back and out of the kiss, separating their mouths reluctantly, her hazelnut eyes seeking out Chaeyoung’s brown ones almost instantly.

“I love you,” Lisa told Chaeyoung, her features warm and affectionate. The fingertips of her right hand moved to brush Chaeyoung’s brow tenderly as she said it, her deep chocolate eyes unmoving as they continued to examine the soft brown of her girlfriend’s intently.

“You’ve only just met me,” Chaeyoung joked trying to make light of the situation, the weight of Lisa’s words, of the sincerity with which she spoke them making her blush profusely when combined with the intensity of her stare. Lisa’s smile grew wide at Chaeyoung’s comment and she glanced down at the floor between them, finally breaking eye contact.

“Maybe in this life,” Lisa responded bashfully, her voice quiet and timid.

“Oh, you’re good,” Chaeyoung chuckled, her heart fluttering involuntarily at Lisa’s quiet insinuation, the subtle reference to them being soul mates not lost on her. Lisa’s eyes wandered Chaeyoung’s body in an attempt to avoid her gaze and came to a stop on her girlfriend’s left shoulder where one of her dress straps was twisted. She reached forward and used both her hands to straighten it back out again, her fingertips tracing the curves of both Chaeyoung’s shoulders delicately when she’d finished, her brow furrowed in concentration whilst she scrutinised her handiwork. Chaeyoung cupped Lisa’s face with her hands and carefully lifted the younger girls’ chin so that she’d meet her eyes once more. “Look at me Lili.” Chaeyoung instructed Lisa gently, the younger girl having closed her eyes still obviously feeling selfconscious about what she’d said. Lisa shook her head and scrunched her eyes closed tighter as she placed the palm of her right hand lightly against Chaeyoung’s chest in an attempt to keep her at arm’s length. “Don’t be embarrassed,” Chaeyoung reassured her. “It’s just me here Lili. It’s just us.” Lisa tried to lower her head again but Chaeyoung held it firm in place, preventing her from completing the movement. “Babe,” Chaeyoung urged Lisa, her tone soft and encouraging. “Open your eyes.”

“I can’t,” Lisa said, prying open just her right and squinting through it at Chaeyoung.

“Why not?” Chaeyoung asked, the smile on her lips at Lisa’s uncharacteristic coyness making her face ache.