Chapter 25

“Hi,” Chaeyoung greeted Jisoo and Somi as she carefully slid into an empty chair at the desk behind the pair of them in home room.

“Hey Chaeng,” Somi said, waving her hand slightly in welcome, a smile on her lips.

“Hi,” Jisoo replied, her eyes scanning the empty space behind Chaeyoung for something. “Where’s Lalisa?” she asked concerned. Chaeyoung pulled her notebook and a pen out of her bag, placing it on the desk in front of her as she answered.

“The hospital,” Chaeyoung informed Jisoo openly. “She has another appointment with her doctor today.” Chaeyoung sighed as she threw her bag onto the floor at her feet. “I wouldn’t be sitting here otherwise.” She continued sadly, sharing a meaningful look with the taller girl.

“She hates me,” Jisoo said to no one in particular.

“She doesn’t hate you,” Somi reassured Jisoo, rubbing her arm comfortingly with her hand. “She’s just got a lot going on right now…”

“It’s been two weeks since she last spoke to me,” Jisoo interceded dejectedly. “She definitely hates me.”

“She doesn’t,” Chaeyoung reiterated, leaning her elbows onto the desk in front of her. “Somi’s right Jisoo. She’s just…” Chaeyoung paused for a moment trying to think of the best way to describe Lisa’s current state. “Struggling,” she finally settled on, reaching one hand forward and placing it on Jisoo’s shoulder, prompting her to meet Chaeyoung’s gaze. “Try to give her a little more time,” Chaeyoung suggested. “She’ll come around eventually. You two have been friends too long for her to just throw it all away. She’s not upset with you. Not really.”

“She could have fooled me,” Jisoo replied sadly. “She’s barely even looked at me since it happened…I can still remember the look on her face when I opened the door to let her mom in…it was like I’d stabbed her in the gut with a blunt knife…”

“She’ll get over it soon enough,” Somi said trying to stay optimistic and repeating Chaeyoung’s previous opinion. “You’ll see.”

“I don’t think she will,” Jisoo countered. “We’ve never fought like this before. I can’t even remember the last time we went longer than twenty four hours without talking to each other…I mean, willingly that is.” Jisoo clarified. “Obviously there was…I mean… after the accident we…but…that was different.” Jisoo expressed and Chaeyoung knitted her brow together thoughtfully.

“Didn’t she and her family come to your house for Thanksgiving dinner last week?” Chaeyoung asked remembering that she and Lisa had discussed it briefly. “She must have spoken to you then…”

“Not one word,” Jisoo admitted. “Our parents even sat us together at the table and she still managed to maintain radio silence.”

“She didn’t say anything?” Chaeyoung asked Jisoo disappointed. “Nothing?”

“Nada,” Jisoo repeated, playing mindlessly with the bracelet on her wrist that Lisa had bought her as a gift a few years ago. Jisoo raised her eyes to look at Chaeyoung after a moment, desperate for more information regarding Lisa’s current condition and the reason for her newest visit to the hospital.

“She’s…alright though?” Jisoo asked Chaeyoung worriedly. “I mean, she’s ok…”

“She’s…ok.” Chaeyoung said thinking about Lisa and her recent difficulties. “It’s just a routine follow up appointment today. At least, that’s what she told me. Sometimes I wonder whether she tells me everything that’s going on with her.” Chaeyoung admitted.

“They still think it’s her medication?” Jisoo asked continuing to fiddle with the bracelet around her wrist. “They’re sure that it’s got nothing to do with her head injury?”