Chapter 19

"Lili," Chaeyoung groaned in exasperation, nudging Lisa slightly as she sat beside her the following day during homeroom. "Would you please just...go up and talk to her already." Lisa shook her head in response, her eyes fixed pointedly on the desk in front of her in order to avoid Miss Bae's frequent glances in her direction. She had her notebook open and was making a good show of pretending to practice her handwriting in it, which Chaeyoung observed, was barely legible because of the constant nervous shaking of Lisa's hand.

"Lisa stop being ridiculous," Jisoo said leaning over the back of her chair to face her best friend. "It's not that bad." She tried to reassure the smaller girl. Lisa lifted her gaze slightly at Jisoo's words and gave her a disbelieving look which told her that she wholeheartedly disagreed. Jisoo turned to look back at Miss Bae who had looked up from what she'd been doing and was now watching their group with interest from behind her desk again. The dark purple bruising around her right eye from where she'd been struck in the face accidently yesterday was evident even from the back of the class and Jisoo made a face before turning back around to address Lisa.

"I mean, ok..." Jisoo started, pausing momentarily to take the pen out of Lisa's hand as she continued to try and distract herself with her notebook. Lisa looked up in frustration to meet Jisoo's gaze. "It is pretty bad but..."

"Jisoo," Somi scolded twisting in her seat slightly. "It's really not that bad Lalisa."

"Lisa's not an idiot Somi," Jisoo protested. "That is one nasty looking bruise Miss Bae is sporting thanks to her..."

"It was an accident," Somi interceded. "It's not like she did it on purpose."

"I'm not saying she did," Jisoo replied defensively. "I'm just saying..."

"Umm....guys," Chaeyoung interrupted, causing both Jisoo and Somi to look in her direction. She pointed towards the front of the class where Lisa was now approaching Miss Bae's desk tentatively, the note that she'd written last night clutched in her right hand.

"Good job," Chaeyoung told them smirking slightly.

"Huh," Jisoo said, watching Lisa with an expression of awe on her face. "That was really stealthy...how the hell did she do that?"

"I think..." Somi said laughing. "That it has more to do with you being really loud rather than Lalisa being really quiet Jisoo," she joked.

"Whatever," Jisoo said, waving her hand dismissively. "At least she's finally going to talk to her. I've been on edge the whole period just watching her sitting there and...I don't know..."

"Fretting?" Chaeyoung offered.

"Fretting?" Jisoo asked, making a face.

"Stewing?" Somi suggested laughing at Jisoo's disapproval of the previously submitted word.

"Fussing," Jisoo finally said, turning to look back at Lisa who was now stood in front of Miss Bae's desk. Lisa looked timid; her hands crossed behind her back, the letter firmly in her grip, her head bowed as she shifted uncomfortably on her feet. Miss Bae was watching her with interest, waiting for Lisa to speak but she didn't, so Miss Bae waited patiently.

"Oh God," Jisoo said, grimacing slightly. "Is she mute? Why isn't she saying anything?"

"Give her a minute," Chaeyoung told her slightly amused at Jisoo's commentary. "She'll be fine."

"I kind of have the sudden urge to go up and give her a hug," Somi mused. "She looks so small and frightened. Is she really that worried about what Miss Bae will say?" Somi asked, turning to look at Chaeyoung who was studying Lisa from where she sat.