Chapter 35

Not long after Lisa had woken, a tall greyhaired doctor in a well tailored suit, who Chaeyoung recognised as her girlfriends’ neurologist, arrived to review her after having been called by the nurse in charge of her care and informed of the recent change in her condition. He requested that Chaeyoung waited outside whilst he performed his assessment, however, as she made a move to obey, Chaeyoung felt Lisa’s hand tighten around her own firmly; her grip strong and determined; her one open eye wide with fear as she silently pleaded with her girlfriend to stay. Chaeyoung glanced up at the doctor inquiringly and she noticed how his eyes fell on their entwined hands, obviously understanding Lisa’s distress and granting permission for her to remain where she were for the time being.

After he’d completed his evaluation, the doctor informed the nurse that Lisa was stable enough to be extubated and turned to his patient, explain the process to Lisa carefully, ensuring that she understood what would be happening by including every small detail in his description. At this time, he also shared with Lisa that it could sometimes be quite distressing for family to watch and that perhaps it would be best for Chaeyoung to wait outside whilst he did it. Lisa had looked at Chaeyoung hesitantly, the internal dilemma clear in the deep chocolate of her eye and the expression on her face.

Finally, Lisa, having made up her mind, relaxed her hold on Chaeyoung’s hand and she’d nodded in understanding, leaning down to kiss her girlfriend on the forehead briefly before disappearing outside to a seated waiting area. Whilst there, Chaeyoung pulled out her phone to text Somi and Jennie, informing them that Lisa had woken up and so far seemed to doing well. Next she called Jisoo, who fell in to a stunned silence for a full five minutes before she eventually found the words to respond. She hurriedly told Chaeyoung that she would be down to the hospital as soon as her parents were back from the mall and demanded that she gave Lisa a big hug and kiss from her until then, to which Chaeyoung agreed.

Uncertain whether the hospital would call Lisa’s parents, she’d also dialled their number, Amy picking up immediately after the first ring. Chaeyoung explained what had happened and Amy thanked her for the call, informing the youngster that they’d be contacted a few minutes ago and would be in once they’d dropped Jules off with her grandma. After a further ten minutes, the doctor emerged from the room with a warm smile on his face and he beckoned Chaeyoung back in, explaining to her that as far as he could tell, Lisa seemed to be doing well. He told her that Lisa appeared to have no new neurological deficits as a result of the prolonged seizure but did warn Chaeyoung that Lisa’s speech seemed to have deteriorated markedly since her admission, whether because of fatigue or the epilepsy activity he couldn’t be sure.

Chaeyoung returned to Lisa’s bedside eagerly, her neurologist leaving to see another patient as she took up residence in the seat which she had become extremely familiar with over the last few days. She picked up Lisa’s left hand once more, her fingers brushing lightly across the scar on her girlfriends’ forearm reflexively and leant her elbows on the bed, closing the distance between the two of them. Lisa was now sat up slightly, both eyes closed, an oxygen mask covering her mouth and nose. Her eyelids flickered open at Chaeyoung’s touch, the right one remaining relatively closed due to swelling, the left opening fully as Lisa rotated her head to look at the blonde sat beside her bed. Chaeyoung smiled at her girlfriend, kissing the back of her small hand lightly and causing the corner of Lisa’s mouth to lift slightly in response.

“Hey,” Chaeyoung said. Her voice was soft and she was uncertain whether Lisa would be able to respond after hearing what her neurologist had said regarding her speech.

She noticed that her girlfriend looked tired, despite having been unconscious for the best part of almost five days. Lisa’s eyelids appeared heavy and the white of her eyes looked dull in comparison to their normal brightness.