Chapter 38

“So where are your parents and everyone?” Jennie asked Chaeyoung as the two of them moved around the Park's kitchen, pulling out bowls and bags of chips from the cupboards in preparation for the Christmas movie marathon that they’d rearranged with the rest of the girls for today. It was New Years’ Eve and Jennie had returned from Texas late last night after having spent the holidays there with her family.

“My parents are at Lisa’s house,” Chaeyoung informed her chuckling at the unexpected turn of events. “They really hit it off on Thursday night,” Chaeyoung told her, pulling out a couple of bottles of soda from the fridge and tucking them under her arm as she walked over to the kitchen counter to deposit them there. “My dad is watching the Dolphins game with Lisa’s dad whilst our moms go shopping.” She laughed at the absurdity of it all. “Kai and Alice are both staying over at friends’ to see in the New Year.”

“So your parents will be back later?” Jennie asked, rummaging through a cupboard and pulling out some microwaveable popcorn.

“No, they probably won’t be back until the early hours of tomorrow morning,” Chaeyoung said as she pulled out an assortment of sweets from a draw beside the sink. “Lisa’s parents are having some friends over for a party tonight to celebrate the New Year so they’re staying there.”

“So we’ll be unsupervised,” Jennie mused, raising her eyebrow thoughtfully. “Interesting…”

“Why is that interesting?” Chaeyoung asked, not understanding Jennie’s train of thought. “Well, we’re all staying over so it’ll give you and Lisa the chance to, I don’t know, celebrate the start of a New Year together,” she finished, smirking in Chaeyoung’s direction at the insinuation. Chaeyoung rolled her eyes in response to Jennie’s suggestion.

“What, with all of you here?” Chaeyoung asked making a face. “I don’t think so do you? Besides, my parents might be celebrating the New Year with Lisa’s parents and her friends but they’ll be back at some point. I don’t really think it’ll be a good idea for them to find me and Lisa in bed together tomorrow morning. I’d be grounded for the next three hundred and sixty five days, guaranteed.”

“Where is your girlfriend anyway?” Jennie asked as she opened a pack of the microwaveable popcorn and put it in to the machine. “I thought she would have already been here by now.”

“She’s getting a lift here with Somi and Jisoo,” Chaeyoung replied, turning around to lean against the kitchen counter as she watched Jennie copy her stance opposite.

“So how is she?” Jennie asked genuinely interested in Lisa’s health.

“She’s…better,” Chaeyoung answered hesitantly.

“Just, better?” Jennie asked, chuckling lightly. “Wow, don’t over sell it Chaeng,” she remarked amused.

“Ok, she’s a lot better,” Chaeyoung repeated, more confidently. “It’s just…”

“What?” Jennie prompted when Chaeyoung didn’t continue. “What is it?”

“Ok,” Chaeyoung said, shifting her position slightly to get a better view of Jennie who was pulling the bag of popcorn out of the microwave carefully and emptying it into a bowl. “Physically she’s great,” Chaeyoung explained as Jennie returned her attention to her friend, the task she’d been doing now completed. “She’s walking much better than when she first woke up and her hand is still clumsy but it’s almost back to how it was before the seizure,” Chaeyoung said, arm leaning onto the marble beside her firmly as she paused for a moment, trying to calculate the best way to explain herself. “Her speech is still crap,” she finally settled on saying.