Chapter 26

Lisa continued to sob into Chaeyoung’s arms, her whole body shaking violently, her breaths tortured as her lungs fought for air, her chest going into paroxysmal spasms.

“Please don’t cry,” Chaeyoung told Lisa sadly, kissing her gently on the top of the head. She brushed Lisa’s hair out of her eyes, tucking it carefully behind her ear securely. Chaeyoung’s eyes were wet with her own tears which were falling freely as she listened to the agonizing sound of Lisa crying into her, muttering quiet pleas for Chaeyoung to, ‘make it stop.’

“Please Lili,” Chaeyoung implored.

“Please don’t cry…” Chaeyoung felt a hand on her shoulder and turned, just in time to see Miss Bae crouch down beside her.

“Lalisa,” Miss Bae said her voice calm and composed. She was studying Lisa closely a sad expression on her face. “Lalisa,” Miss Bae repeated, placing a hand on Lisa’s back and rubbing it soothingly. “Hey,” Miss Bae said as Lisa turned her head slightly to look at whoever was addressing her. “It’s Miss Bae,” the teacher informed her evenly, pausing to allow Lisa to register the truth to her words. “I need you to come with me,” Miss Bae said, her tone relaxed. “Do you think you can do that?” she asked. Chaeyoung watched Lisa carefully for a response, observing her swollen eyes, her tear streaked cheeks, her flushed complexion.

Lisa’s skin felt warm to touch and Chaeyoung noted that her nosebleed had now slowed; blood visible in an obvious trail from her nostril to her chin. Lisa looked at Miss Bae, her eyelids low and her pupils sluggish, as though she wasn’t quite aware of what was happening around her. “Lalisa?” Miss Bae repeated kindly, brushing Lisa’s cheek with her fingertips gently. “I really need you to come with me now.” She reiterated. “Is that ok?” Lisa’s chest was still heaving, her sobs finally dying down when Chaeyoung felt her nod her head in response to Miss Bae’s question.

“Ok,” Miss Bae said, placing her hand on to Lisa’s shoulder. “Ok, good.” She said gently, turning her head towards Chaeyoung and silently instructing her to release her hold on Lisa. Chaeyoung relaxed her grip on her girlfriend’s small form reluctantly, separating them a little bit so that Miss Bae could take both of Lisa’s shoulders in her hands. Slowly, Miss Bae guided Lisa up on to her feet and Chaeyoung followed suit, standing up opposite them. She watched as Miss Bae put one arm around Lisa’s shoulders comfortingly and out of some kind of primitive reflex, Lisa turned her face to bury it against Miss Bae’s chest, her knees almost giving out as her body threatened to buckle beneath her again.

Miss Bae wrapped her other arm around Lisa’s torso to support her and turned her attention back to Chaeyoung who felt like she was watching the scene before her rather than being an active participant.

“Can you collect her things?” Miss Bae asked Chaeyoung quietly. Chaeyoung nodded in the affirmative, stepping over to the table to pick up both hers and Lisa’s belongings as Miss Bae lead the fragile brunette through the cafeteria and out in to the hallway. Chaeyoung made a move to follow her and came face to face with Jisoo who had an uneasy expression on her face. “Can you call me later?” Jisoo asked Chaeyoung desperately, her tone etched with worry.

“You’re not coming too?” Chaeyoung questioned back. Jisoo turned to look at Lisa who was still wrapped up in Miss Bae’s arms as they disappeared out in to the hallway.

“No,” Jisoo said sadly, her attention once again on Chaeyoung. “I don’t think that’d be a good idea.” Chaeyoung saw Somi come up alongside Jisoo and link their arms together whilst Jennie approached from Jisoo’s other side and started rubbing her free arm supportively.

“Are you sure?” Chaeyoung asked her, throwing a quick glance towards the door, eager to catch up with Miss Bae and Lisa.

“Yeah,” Jisoo said sadly, her eyes glistening with the threat of tears. “You should go.”