Chapter 55~ Magic Is Power

Jason's pov

"You should know that magic can work without a wand! It's not the wand that's magic it's you!" He said heatedly while we traveled from room to room, looking for the dead body. "You may be younger than me but I only just started using magic a few years ago." He laughs. "Yeah. Right." He mutters sarcastically, opening another door. "What's that supposed to mean?" I gape annoyed with his attitude. "Everybody in the mage community knows about you! If you've only been doing magic for so little time, you wouldn't have figured out how to open the negaverse so easily." Whoa. How many people actually know about me? "You're a very dangerous man." He said, smiling. I'm shaking. "No I'm not." I nervously say. "God dammit! There's no way! We should have come across him by now! How big is this stupid thing!" He yells, kicking the mechanism on the ground. The door cranks open. He glares at it. "What do we do?! That girl's pregnant!" "Who the fuck cares!! We're fucked!" He shouts. I shake my head and sit down exhausted. "I'm so sorry baby." I whisper worried, wishing I could get back to them. Max sits beside me. "Ya done?" I gripe. He glares at me. "Ya know all that stuff I did... I didn't even mean to... The stuff with the negaverse I mean. My dad was an elder so my magic was strong and unstable. For a while I didn't even know it existed til I met my wife when we were 17." He looked a little surprised. "Wow. I never knew that." He says, surprised. I shrug. "I didn't know what I was doing. I was just mad and said something... Something I ended up regretting." I say, looking at the ground. To be honest though, I hated Parker with a passion. That girl really made my life hell. But I'd take it back if I could. Miranda cared about her. They were best friends. Her new guardian is protective and all but.... Easily they don't have the same closeness. And she never will because of me. I feel awful about it. "I don't deserve her." I say laying my head against the hard wall. "That's what my dad always said about my mom but she loved him anyway." He says shrugging. I wish I knew what to do. "What if whoever this is has moved the dead body or gotten rid of it?" I ask. He sighs. "Wouldn't doubt it." The sudden echoing laugh fills the tiny room. It's so loud I have to cover my ears. I somehow hear Max scream. "You two are awfully clever. Would be a shame to split you up." The voice booms. It's been autotuned so I can't tell who it is. Suddenly the floor gives out under Max's feet and he hits the ground with a loud thud and a scream. "Shit!" I shout peering over the edge. "You alright?" I call. He groaned in reply, holding his arm which hung loosely. My hands were shaking as he cried in pain, saying, "My arm! My arm hurts so bad!" He was crying. I jumped down instantly regretting it, worrying about a trap but nothing came of it. I shakily helped him up. Poor kid. "What do we do?!" He whimpers sobbing. W-We'll figure something out! We g-gotta." I say, helping him sit up. "I need to tell you the spell. Just in case!" He says grabbing my shirt with his good arm while his very injured arm lay off to the side. He's so scared of dying. "You're not going to die. Maybe if we just stay strong and focus we can do the spell now." "Ok. We can try that. The spell is Momento Mori!" After almost half an hour, the trap we were in breaks apart. I have no idea where we are but we gotta move quick. Cause I got an injured kid and a terrified pregnant lady to deal with.