Chapter 5~ A Broken Boy

Jason's pov

"Me? Me learning magic?" I gape shocked. They both nod. "Why?" "Magic is a good outlet. To relieve stress, anger, and you need to get away from that house." My eyes go wide. "You told him!?!" "I had to! He can help you.... We can help you! If you let us." I pull my hand away, angry. "Let's get started. You're far behind Miranda." I don't like that she told. "Who else did you tell?!" "Nobody I swear! Jason calm down!" He walks to a box on the shelf and pulls out a dark blue wand. "This was mine when I practiced magic. Take good care of it." He says, handing it to me. "Anyway. I'll see y'all after a lesson. I'm excited to study magic with you." She waves and leaves. I don't know about this. He pulls an old book off a shelf. "Here's volume one. We'll start you off simple."

Miranda's pov

*later*

My door swings open. I jump in surprise. "How'd your first lesson go?" "It was cool.... Thanks." I smile. "Sorry for getting mad earlier." I smile. "You apologized." His eyes go wide. "Dammit." I laugh and grab his hand. "So what'd you learn?" "A vanishing spell and few others. I thought you didn't want magic falling into the wrong hands?" "Well as long as you don't use it for evil, it hasn't." He sets his wand down. "All that stuff you were talking about at the nightclub...." "Yeah?" "Me.... Being.... Your true love." My eyes go wide. "Y-Yeah?" "How does that work? How'd you know that?" "The age spell. You didn't see the age spell." He scratches his head. "I'm confused." "Body improvement spells don't work on your true love. As in if I use a spell to make me prettier you would still see me as I am now." I think he's starting to get it. "Do..... Do you love me?" He asks, looking up from his shoes to my face. The door bursts open just then, thankfully relieving me from answering that difficult question. Parker. "What are you doing here?!" Parker yells angrily. "Calm down! I invited him!" I gasp. He glares at her, fists clenched. My dad calls Parker's name. "Your friend's a bitch." "Shut up! No she's not!" I gasp, laughing. He smiles. "You don't have to answer my question right now." He says. "Thanks."

Parker's pov

"You need to contact to the Eye. I stop short shocked. "Why?!" "I'm teaching the boy magic. And he needs a guardian." Oh jeez! "Yes sir."

Jason's pov

*the next day*

I get to school and sit down working on a song and I hear someone playing piano in the music room. It's too early for a class. Who's playing that?! I walk down there confused out of my mind. A black haired guy sits at the piano playing it. I opened the door. "You're good." He stops and turns around, a smile on his face. "Hey." "What are you doing here so early?" "Playing piano. What about you?" "Getting away from my dad." I mutter under my breath. "Oh your dad a douche too?" He asks, catching me off guard. "Too? What do you mean too?" "My dad's a jackass drunk who beats me and my mom when he's drunk." He says, shocking me. "Whoa! Me too! Mostly just my mom though." "Damn, weird coincidence." He says, holding a hand out. "The name's Luke." "Jason." I say, shaking his hand. "I see you have a guitar. You're a music man too?" He asks. "Yeah." I set my backpack down and get my guitar out. "This song might hit you hard." I start the cords and take a deep shaky breath. "In the fights they had he'd cover up his ears, thought big boys don't cry, fought back all the tears, Mamma'd use her makeup to hide the bruises on her face
In the morning they'd pretend that there'd never ever been a trace, his old man woke him up to help him find the car, take the bus uptown outside some run down bar. He swore that he was quitting, and then he'd start to cry and though the boy knew the truth, sometimes he'd still believe that lie. The sins of the father are the sins of the son. All you do is crawl when you want to run, God gave boys their mammas 'cause they always see their promise and they help them understand how to walk like man, walk like a man. They moved a lot of places, they never settled down, it got pretty old being the new kid in town, he'd always tell his friends, "My daddy's sick today" said he'd be rich if he had a nickel every time he heard his momma say: The sins of the father are the sins of the son, crawl before you walk boy, walk before you run, come on stand up straight, I'm proud of you, take my hand. I know you can, walk like a man, walk like a man. Your daddy's demons are callin' your name. Don't you listen to you 'em cause they got no claim. Temptations may come that ain't no sin. You get stronger every time you don't give in!" By the time I get to that part, I'm having trouble breathing and tears were rushing down my cheeks. I lower the guitar and he's jaw dropped. I can't believe I just did that. "That was amazing!" Luke gasps, surprising me. "I.... I.... Wrote it cause of my dad." I was taking the same road as my dad. She was right. My hands are shaking. I grip my guitar and run from the room.