Mission Sneakin'

Natalia couldn't believe she forgot it was Luke's birthday

Natalia couldn't believe she forgot it was Luke's birthday. As soon as Alex reminded her, she poofed herself out of the studio and ended up in the all too familiar living room of the Patterson household. Natalia had spent many days and nights in this very house growing up, it was nice to know that they stayed here despite the craziness and grief that comes with losing a child. The phantom girl slowly retreated from the living room and peeked her head into the kitchen where Luke sat on the marble counter with his head in between his knees.

She let a tear fall at the sight of his quivering body, and she made her way over to him. Emily, his mother, and Mitch, his father, were preparing a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. Luke's absolute favorite. When he was a little boy he used to get the chocolate frosting all over his face and Miss Emily would always scold him about it as he laughed.

Emily placed two coffee mugs on the counter in front of Luke for her and her husband, pulling Natalia from the memories that flooded her head. Luke's head popped up when he sensed the girl slipping onto the counter next to him.

"What are you doing here, Nat?" He asked the girl quietly. How did she know he would come here?

"I knew you didn't want to do this alone. Trust me, I already have with my family. I came to check on you." Natalia explained the reasoning behind why she had showed up. "I worry about you." When she said that, Luke's face turned towards her and she saw his red-stained cheeks and puffy under-eyes. "Come here," Natalia whispered, holding her arms out. He immediately shoved his body into hers, his head resting against the girl's small chest. His loud and painful sobs made a few tears fall from her eyes; He was hurting so much and it hurt Natalia to see him like this.

Natalia made him bring his head up to look over at his parents, who had now placed the cake on the dining room table along with their coffee. They had even set a spot for him, which made Natalia tear up some more. Luke slowly slipped off of the counter, making his way over to his designated spot at the table. The girl stayed where she was, letting the boy have his moment with his family.

Mitch lit a candle, and Luke immediately blew it out, making Emily look around in confusion. Mitch re-lit it, and the couple blew it out together with help from Luke. Natalia saw him try and grab his mother's hand, but he retracted after he realized he couldn't do that anymore.

She slipped off of the counter and walked over to the table, draping her arms over his shoulders and resting her chin on top of his head. The two ghosts just watched the older couple eat the cake and listened to them talk about Luke and even Nat and the boys. They finally stood up from the table, pushing in their chairs and began doing dishes and cleaning the table.

"Ready to go back now?" Natalia asked Luke after they had spent a few more minutes watching over his parents.

"Yeah, yeah I'm ready." He whispered back in reply, and Nat rubbed his shoulder.