What We've Missed

Natalia finished pulling her hair back in a tiny ponytail and she looked at herself in the bathroom mirror

Natalia finished pulling her hair back in a tiny ponytail and she looked at herself in the bathroom mirror. She was wearing ripped jeans with a dark green tank top, one of Luke's old flannels hung off her shoulder. The shorter pieces of hair that couldn't fit into the ponytail framed her small, pale face.

She took a deep breath; She was finally going to visit her family and friends this morning. Julie was at school and the boys were occupying themselves, so Nat figured it was time for her to see her loved ones.

She walked out of the bathroom and slipped on her favorite pair of Doc Martens. "I'll be back in a little bit guys," She announced as the three boys were focused on writing new songs.

"Where are you going?" Luke piped up, looking up from his guitar for the first time in hours. Natalia never really left the studio, where could she be going?

"I'm going to see if I can find my family. I won't be very long." Nat said and gave Luke a soft smile and nod of assurance. He could sense that she was nervous, but he nodded and let the girl go anyways. She stood in the studio, closing her eyes and picturing her family. When she opened her eyes again, she was standing in an unfamiliar living room.

Natalia's feet were planted in the hardwood flooring; She felt as if she couldn't move, like her feet were stuck in cement. But the girl forced herself to take a heavy step foward toward the mantle above the fireplace. Picture frames were lined across it; All of them were of her. This must be her parent's new home then.

Natalia grazed her fingers over one picture imparticular; One of her, Luke, Reggie, and Alex splashing in the lake down the street from the big neighborhood they all used to live in. They were probably 5 or 6 when that picture was taken; She could remember that day being one of the best days she had ever had growing up. It was before her parents started traveling the world for work, and before they left her on her own for weeks on end.

She giggled at the next picture of Layla and herself at their joint 13th birthday party. Their mom's split the themes up to please both of them, Layla's theme was New Kids on the Block, of course, and Natalia's was Pearl Jam. They were complete opposites, but the best of friends.

Natalia smiled faintly at the last picture she spotted on the end of the mantle. Her and Luke when they were freshly 16. He was sat in an adirondack chair around the bonfire at her house, and she was sat on his knee. She had an arm draped around his neck, and he had his arm around her waist. They were laughing; Probably at one of Reggie's stupid jokes. Nat laughed out loud when she thought about that. They were definitely laughing at one of Reggie's jokes. It was a good picture of the two of them, and she wished she still had it. This must've been the one from her bedroom.

Nat moved away from the mantle when she heard voices coming from another room. She walked down the hallway slowly, making sure her steps were light, forgetting that they couldn't hear her. She turned the corner into the room that she heard a laugh come from, and it looked like the kitchen. And there they were. Nat's parents. Their hair was gray and their skin was wrinkled; Yet her mom was still as stunning as always.