| Chapter XLVI |

I come back to my empty and dull dorm very exhausted. I had a full schedule at university today and needed to shower and get to work for my night shift.
I was thinking about putting in a two week notice and to start looking for a better paying job because I was nearly all out of money.

Just as I'm out of the shower and ready to go, I get a call. Reaching for my phone I read 'boyfriend' on the screen followed by a bunch of cringe emojis. I quickly answer the phone. It feels like I haven't heard from Hayden in forever.

"Haydennn," I say happily, not even trying to play it off cooly. I missed him. I hear him laugh and I can picture his face right now. It makes me smile more.

"I've missed you, Char. What's my beautiful girlfriend been up to?" He asks, making me full on grin. I grab my purse and lock the door after closing it.

"Oh, nothing special. Just headed out to work." I tell him casually as I walk down the stairs. I hear him shuffle around through the phone and wonder what he's doing. "What's my handsome boyfriend been up to?" I return the question with a smile even though he can't see me.

It's crazy how he can lift my mood just from a phone call.

"I'm working all day at my father's firm since he can't come in and spending my nights at the hospital. I'm sorry I've been making no time for us, I-"

"Hayden," I cut him off with a soft tone, trying to show him that I understand. "I really get it, you dont have to explain. Your parents need you right now. How is your dad, by the way?"

"He's getting much better, even the doctors say so," Hayden has hope in his voice but I remember the words the doctor said that day so vividly. Mr. Holt didn't have much time left. I didn't want Hayden to have hopes when we know the outcome was inevitable.

Or maybe I was being pessimistic, I don't know. Either way, I remained quiet.

"He asks about you, you left a good impression on him when he learned you were into hotels. You weirdos," he laughs.

"Hey, this is a passion you would never understand okay, dont judge us cause we're cool." I pretend to sound offended.

He laughs. "Yeah, you guys are so cool." I roll my eyes at the sarcasm.

"Before I go, there's this party I want you to come to-"

"A party?" He interrupts not very enthusiastically.

"Yeah, I want you to be there. I don't want to go without you," I try and persuade him to come and I feel him almost give in when he releases a sigh.

"I want to be alone with you. I miss you. Not those stupid frat boy parties."

"I already promised Clark and the rest that I'll be there, we could go somewhere after we show up for awhile?"

"Okay, we'll stay for like 30 minutes."

"Okay, yay! Thank you, baby." I say, happy he agreed.

"You never call me baby, I like it." I hear the grin in his voice and I'm surprised by his quick change in mood. Boys were so easy to please.

"I have to clock into work," I say through a chuckle, ignoring his words and I know he realizes I was a bit embarrassed cause he laughs.

"Okay, I'll talk to you later, baby."

....

The next day I wake up to a knock on my door. I ignore it at first. Ever since everyone heard Hayden moved out the boys on the floors below me usually play 'ding-dong-ditch' from time to time. I get out of bed irritated and ready to wait for the next knock I knew was coming right beside the door, just to catch them right in the act and throw my slipper at them.

The minute I hear another knock, I fling the door open, shoe in my hand and my face twisted in annoyance.

The receptionist, Rebecca, looks at me with wide eyes, baffled by my reaction to her knocking on my door. I slowly lower my shoe and throw it back inside behind me, offering an impish smile. "Oh, Rebecca, What brings you here?"

"Did you finally find a free room in the girls dorms?" I add when she doesn't speak up the first few minutes. She finally blinks and ignores what I just did a few moments back and clears her throat.

"No, actually you have a new roommate. You're the only girl on the top floor, so we're thinking about closing it off and leaving it for future female students since the girls dorms are already full." She speaks, looking over to something on the side of her with a smile. When I move my door a little more out of the way I notice a girl standing awkwardly beside her and out of sight.

"Oh," Rebecca clasps her hands. "This is Emma. She's a freshman, they're starting a bit early this year and getting acclimated before the new year starts. I thought I'd introduce you to your new roommate. Emma, this is Charlie."

Emma waves at me with a small smile and I wave back. She looks so cute and small with her adorable brown bob-cut.  I hoped we would get along well.

"And about the boys downstairs, they won't be allowed up here anymore. Not even to roam the halls, I know they can get quite annoying." She probably caught on to why I reacted like that the moment she knocked on my door. "We'll have the floor closed off by tomorrow and give you your keys to enter."

I sighed in relief. I didn't really like confrontation so that saved me a lot of trouble in the future.

"Thank you." I smile.

Rebecca turns to Emma and smiles, "I'll leave you to unpack, Charlie here will make you feel right at home." And with that, she leaves.

I helpe Emma unpack and get comfortable, asking her a few questions to try and get to know her better. I was getting better at this thing called 'socializing'. And before heading to class, I invite her to the upcoming party.

"Umm," she hesitats to answer.

"You don't have to go if you dont want to," I smile, not wanting her to feel pressured.

"Its not that, it's just I dont know anyone here yet and it'll be weird for a freshman, are we even allowed to go?" She asks sheepishly.

I smile, for some reason I got the urge to be protective over her. Maybe because I knew how hard it was being a freshman herr. At least there were a few more girls this year.

"You're a student of Central West university, of course you're invited. And don't worry, I'll introduce you to some people, it'll be fun as long as you stick with me, I'll help you out."

Emma smiles. "Thank you."

"Oh, it's nothing," I smile back. "I'll head to class and catch up with you later so we can get ready together."

"Sounds good."

........

Um hi.. it's been awhile, dont even know if I have any readers left lol. I don't know why it took so much energy to write this, not like much happened anyway.

next chapter will be in Alex's pov