Chapter 40

Aelin

That worked out rather well

That was the only thing Aelin had time to think about before she let her magic roar. 

Aelin could always count on Lysandra to follow through with her plans. 

This moment, of course, wasn't expected. But Aelin always told Lysandra that she shouldn't ever give them what they wanted, unless they absolutely had to. Even with Evangeline hostage, Aelin had a feeling that Lysandra wasn't about to hand over The Walking Dead to Maeve. 

Thankfully Rhys was able to get a shield around Evangeline before Maeve could slit her throat. Aelin didn't waste time to ponder what exactly Lysandra blew up.

Aelin was already moving towards Maeve when she saw the ghost leopard lunge at Maeve. 

Aelin magic might not be able to compare to Maeve's,  but she was skilled with a sword long before her flame. 

Maeve only had time to throw the small knife, with deadly accuracy, towards Aelin before jumping out of the way at the oncoming ghost leopard.

Aelin dodged out of the way, as she watched Maeve side step Lysandra and immediately go after Mor who was still holding The Book of Breathings

Maeve created a sword, that looked like it was made of pure darkness, out of thin air, and had it pummeling for Mor's heart, at impossible speeds. Mor was narrowly able to doge a lethal hit, but the sword hit her left shoulder. 

Mor cried out in pain as blood stained her red dress, she immediately leapt out of the away, but was only able to get a few feet out of the way, before Maeve turned around. Someone shouted Mor's name, but Aelin wasn't paying attention as she hurtled herself at Maeve. 

Aelin swung her sword aiming for her torso, but Maeve was faster and was able to deflect it. Maeve and Aelin's swords clashed, as Maeve went offensive on Aelin. 

Aelin was able to dodge and duck every swing of her sword, but she didn't know how much long she could keep it up.

Rhys winnowed back into the room, Evangeline not with her. His eyes went immediately to Mor and her bloody shoulder. 

Anger flashed in his eyes and without a second thought Rhys flung his magic out at Maeve. But Maeve was able to deflect everything Rhys threw out at him.

In the corner of Aelin's eye, Aelin saw Mor's knees wobble as she mouthed "Poison." 

Azriel was instantly over there, healing her, while the others started to run towards Maeve. But Maeve wasn't ready to give up the book, and charged right for the injured Mor. 

None of the High Lords were fast enough to stop Maeve from going after Mor, Azriel standing next to her. Azriel pushed the shaky Mor behind him, his wings blocking Maeve from Mor. Maeve didn't stop her attack as shadows seemed to swirl around Azriel. 

Their swords met, and Azriel was able to hold her off, as the others gathered themselves from the shock of what was going on. 

Maeve created a second sword with her other hand, that looked to be made of pure darkness, but acted as metal. Azriel wasn't quick enough to stop the second sword from hitting his right wing. 

The gash was deep, but Azriel didn't give in. The shadows around him seemed to disappear, as if he couldn't use his magic anymore. 

Maeve gave a quick smile, at Azriel's confused look as their swords clashed once more.

An assortment of magic roared in the air, as blood dripped down Azriel's wing and barely managed to hold Maeve off.

 Azriel gritted his teeth as he blocked against everyone of Maeve's impossibly fast attacks. Maeve had millenniums of training and magic on her side, while Azriel only had brute strength.