Chapter 19

Aelin

The next day, Aelin woke up in preparation of facing Maeve. The thought of Maeve having to face her again, scared the shit out of her. But Aelin had questions for Maeve, as well as the others. It was agreed that Aelin and her court could talk to Maeve first, before Rhys's party went. And arrangements were made to have a last minute High Lord and Lady meeting in Velaris. Where all of the High Lords and Ladies would meet, before they questioned her tomorrow.

Aelin and Rowan held each other the entire night. As Aelin wanted to make sure that she didn't face one bit of this without her mate. Everyone was restless during breakfast, as they awaited the interrogation. There was little talk amongst them. And when they did talk, it had to do with Maeve's security and what they were going to ask her. Everyone was on edge. Including Rhys and Feyre, and they hardly knew the crimes she had committed. 

"Are you guys ready?" Rhy asked, as everyone finished their breakfasts. Everyone was armed, as if they were going into battle.

"As ready as I'll ever be," Aelin breathed. Aelin felt like she had just lied. She was scared to her bones. Far more scared than what the others believed of her. But Aelin had to get through this, she had to show to the world that despite what Maeve did, she was not afraid. My name is Aelin Ashryver Whitethorn Galathynius and I will not be afraid. Aelin thought to herself.

Aelin's court got winnowed outside of the dungeon, as there was magic to stop people from directly winnowing inside. The guards outside gave a slight nod at the sight of Rhysand, and they all walked inside. The prison was dark, guards at every turn. With concrete walls and identical looking hallways, it made the place feel like a maze. Out of habit, Aelin counted her turns. Right, right, left, right, left, Aelin thought as they moved further into the prison. Aelin noted how Feyre seemed to get closer to Rhysand at every turn they made. She probably isn't a fan of the underground, after what she said happened underneath that mountain. They eventually arrived outside of a room, where Maeve was inside. They were several guards positioned outside of the locked room.

"You guys get to go first," Rhys said. Aelin's court looked at her, silently asking her who she wanted with them.

"If you guys don't mind, for this first round. I only want Rowan and Fenrys with me," Aelin commented looking at Fenrys and Rowan in approval. They nodded.

"Are yo-" Aedion started. Lysandra kicked him. "Of course," Lysandra stated. No one said anything else, as Rhys unlocked the door. Rowan gave a quick glance at Aelin.

Are you sure you want to do this? Rowan seemed to say. Aelin gave a slight nod.

Yes. The three of them walked into the room.

Maeve sat in the center of her room. Her wrists and ankles, each bound by a chain to the ground, that looked to be made of fire. Maeve smiled at the sight of them, as the door closed behind them. There was nothing else in this room, besides Maeve and a small bucket in the corner.

"Why hello there, Aelin, Rowan and Fenrys," Maeve said with a kiss. "What can I do for you three?"

"Why don't start by telling us why the hell you need The Book of Breathings and The Walking Dead," Aelin snarled. Maeve winked as she said, "Oh you know. Just a few spells, for this and that." They all agreed that they weren't going to patient with the demon. 

Fenrys growled, "We don't have time for this bull shit. Why are you sending your spiders to attack Ornyth?"

"Well, besides the fact that I have some unfinished business with that city. I already told you, I desire The Walking Dead," Maeve responded. "And I will once again say, that war could be avoided if you just hand over the two books."

"Incase you haven't noticed you're not going anywhere. And we are not giving you anything," Rowan snarled. Maeve gave as much as a shrug as possible against her chains.

"Don't blame me when your people die. The amount of lives that could've been saved if you swore that blood oath to me A-" Maeve started,

"That's enough," Rowan barked. "If you wouldn't tell us anything willingly, we have people that can get into your head and make you tell us."

"Yes, I heard about the High Lord's incredible power. The most powerful High Lord of Prythian. He probably has the equivalent as much power as Aelin did at her peak, if not more. Would you really send him into my head knowing what I can do," Maeve purred.

"You can't do anything in your current state, besides make pointless threats," Fenrys snapped back.

"Would you really risk that?" Maeve asked.

"And who said that physical pain wasn't an option," Rowan added. Maeve rolled her eyes.

"I am as old as Erawan himself. Do you really think that after a millennium, I don't know how to hold up to torture," Maeve responded back. "Although, I have to admit that Aelin held up against Cairn for quite some time." Rowan growled.

"If you think that you are going to walk away from this al-" Rowan said, before getting interrupted by Aelin.

"Rowan, Fenrys, outside now," Aelin snapped as she stalked towards the door. Aelin pounded on the door for a second, before Rhys unlocked it from the other side. Rowan and Fenrys following her.

"What was that?" Rowan asked, trying not to raise his voice. Aelin took a breath in.

"She's not going to talk with you there," Aelin said, gesturing towards Rowan. "I want Feyre and Fenrys with me." Rhys looked at Feyre, no doubt they were having some sort of conversation in their heads.

"I'll go," Feyre said. Aelin looked at Fenrys.

"You didn't even have to ask," Fenrys said, as he turned to face the door once again. Feyre and Aelin both looked at their mates, before proceeding towards the door.

"Fenrys, make sure-" Rowan said.

"With my life," Fenrys interrupted. Rowan gave a nod, as the door became unlocked once more. 

---------------------