Chapter 22

Aelin

Aelin opened her eyes to see that she was inside an iron box. Chained from head to toe, and an iron mask over her face, Aelin couldn't use her magic. Fear filled her eyes, and Aelin's heart pounded. No, Aelin thought. Was it another illusion all along? The two years of peace, killing Erawan, Maeve returning. The room Aelin saw was identical to the room where she got tortured for two months. My god, it was just another Maeve's illusions. But it seemed so real. Rowan's kiss, seeing Chaol's baby for the first time, Velaris.

Footsteps echoed through the room, as Maeve entered. "Hello Aelin," Maeve purred. As she stopped in front of Aelin, looking her in the eye. "Sorry to have your illusion end. I even let you be at peace for two years. But I still need the location of the Wyrdkeys." The Wyrdkeys. I still need to sacrifice myself to close the gate. Was the illusion really not real? Did Rowan never save me? Is Fenrys still a slave to Maeve? 

"Aelin, I could make this all stop. Cairn, Erawan, all of that. As I have said before I do not wish to destroy this world, like Erawan does. I wish to preserve it. And all you need to do is swear the blood oath to me, and tell me where the Wyrdkeys are," Maeve said. My name is Aelin Ashryver Whitethorn Galathynius and I will not be afraid. Maeve sighed as Aelin snarled, "Go to hell."

"You could've been happy, Aelin. You could bring peace to Eriela," Maeve said as she left the room. A new set of footsteps, sounded in the room. A set of footsteps that brought fear and dread to Aelin.

"Hello Aelin," Cairn purred. Aelin's heart pounded, knowing what was going to happen next. But Fenrys couldn't hear Aelin scream this time.

Feyre

Feyre awoke to the sound of a woman screaming. She was in a prison cell, with her wrists and ankles shackled with ashwood. Feyre tried to reach down the mating bond to Rhys, but found a barrier blocking her. Fuck. Feyre thought. She couldn't use any of her magic, as the screaming continued. My god, what is happening to that poor girl. Feyre scanned the small, dark room. There was only a single candle that gave light in the room, and there were no windows. There was enough slack on Feyre shackles that she could stand up, but she wouldn't be able to walk anywhere. Feyre sat on the rough concrete floor, staring at the iron door, waiting for someone to walk in.

Feyre didn't know how much time passed, before Maeve walked into the room. Despite there being no windows, or cracks in the room, Feyre could still hear the girl screaming.

"I don't believe that we have had the pleasure of a formal introduction. I am Maeve," Maeve remarked with a smile, when Feyre stayed silent she added, "This is the part where you tell me your name."

"You already know my name," Feyre sneered.

"I do, but I would like to start from the beginning with you, as we have never  had a formal introduction," Maeve stated. "Is there anything that would like to know about me?"

"What the hell do you want from our world?" Feyre snapped, pulling against her shackles.

"Only to preserve it, and to make sure there is peace," Maeve explained. Feyre didn't believe that for a second.

"And why the hell do you want The Book of Breathings and The Walking Dead?" Feyre bellowed.

"No need to raise your voice, darling. You might be able to hear Aein, but she can't hear you. Will never hear you. And to answer your questions, so I can ensure peace amongst this world," Maeve replied. Feyre's heart stopped when Maeve said Aelin's name, but she would think of that later. Feyre was set on getting as much information out of Maeve as possible.

"You mean by making yourself Queen of this world?" Feyre snapped. Maeve chuckled. "How else would I be able to preserve this world. Only by me ruling, will there be peace."

"So what you mean to take over all of the Courts, and all of the Empires. You wouldn't stand a chance."

"Ah, but that is why I need The Book of Breathings and The Walking Dead, so I can merge it with my own book, and so I can take over this world," Maeve responded. "There doesn't have to be war if you make this easy."

"We aren't giving you anything, you bitch." Maeve sighed.

"I was hoping that you would be more reasonable than Aein. But apparently you are just as insufferable. And well, Aelin's attitude about the Wyrdkeys didn't end too well for her," Maeve laughed. Feyre's face paled as she realized who's screams she could hear. My god. That's Aelin. Aellin hasn't stopped screaming in who knows how long. Shit. Anger coated Feyre's face, as Maeve smiled.

"Don't worry, you wouldn't have the same fate as her. You too, would also probably rather die than tell me anything." That was true. Feyre would hand her life over, if it meant that Maeve wouldn't get what she desired. Feyre still wasn't sure what Maeve wanted to do with those three books. But she knew that she had to warn Rhys somehow about Maeve's plans.

"Go to hell," Feyre sneered. Maeve gave a chuckle.

"Yes, I am not going to torture you. At least not like how Aelin is being. If you ever change your mind, do let me know. I would hate for unnecessary lives to be lost." Maeve smiled. "Have a good day," she said as Maeve stalked out of the room.

Aelin's screams didn't stop, as hours passed. And there was nothing that Feyre could do but listen. Nothing that she could do but pray. Pray that Rhys, Rowan, someone would find them and make the pain stop. 

------------

This was a shorter one, sorry.