Chapter 24

Feyre

The screaming eventually stopped, and Feyre could only hear the sound of her own breathing. Feyre didn't know how much time had passed, as the candle finally died out, and there was only darkness. It was an effort to not start panicking when no one opened the door. The shackles made it so she couldn't use any of her magic, and couldn't reach out to Rhys. But Feyre had a feeling that even if she could use her magic, she still wouldn't be able to reach Rhys. As Rhys made no contact with her, and it was likely that Maeve had put some sort of shield around this place.

After what felt like an eternity, the iron door finally opened. Maeve walked into the room with a plate of food and water. She walked over to where Feyre was sitting in the room, and put the food in front of her and on the ground.

"Eat," Maeve said. Feyre looked down at the food, and then up at Maeve. Feyre made no motion to eat the food. Maeve sighed. "It's not poisoned. That would defeat the purpose if it was." Feyre considered not eating it. But she was starving, and Feyre didn't know when she was going to eat again. Feyre reached down, picked up the piece of bread, and devoured it. Followed by her gulping down her water. Maeve only smiled.

"Let's try to have a nice and civilized conversation," Maeve said. Feyre said nothing as Maeve continued to look down at Feyre. Feyre refused to look up at Maeve.

"Wouldn't you like to know where you are? Where Aelin is?" Maeve inquired. At the name Aelin, Feyre glared up at Maeve. "Thought so. You are now going to come on a walk with me. And if you try to escape, Aelin will scream again." Feyre said nothing as Fae guards came in, and unlocked Feyre's chain from the ground. One guard kept a hand on her arm, as they led Feyre out of the room. The walls were made of concrete, as was the floor. There were no windows, only lots of hallways and turns, and endless iron doors. Feyre didn't want to know what was behind them.

They made so many turns that Feyre lost count. Each hallway looked the same, and Feyre knew that she would never be able to find her way out of this maze. They walked up several sets of stairs, and Feyre wouldn't have been surprised if they tried to confuse her even further, by taking unnecessary turns and taking her up the same sets of stairs. But Feyre knew that trying to escape would be pointless. At least not when they had Aelin. Feyre had yet to see Aelin, and she had a feeling that Maeve wouldn't let her. If it weren't for Aelin's screaming, Feyre might have considered that Aelin could be dead. And in some ways, it might be better if she was. Feyre didn't want to know what she was going through. Her screams would probably haunt her until the day she died. She couldn't believe that Aelin was captured, and tortured by Maeve once before. Only the thought that, Aelin had made it out kept Feyre going.

Feyre eventually saw sunlight, as they walked out of the prison she was just in. Feyre wasn't paying attention to where the entrance and exit was, as she was lost in her own thoughts. But Feyre only breathed in the fresh air, and snowy mountains. It looked like they were nowhere near any civilizations, as Feyre could only see trees and mountains across the horizon. It was beautiful scenery, as if it were untouched by any mortals. Feyre glanced behind her to see the prison that she was just in. The only sign of something being there, was a single iron door, built into the mountain. Well that's great. Really makes it easy for Rhysand and the others to find us, Feyre thought.

They continued to walk down the mountain and into some trees. Feyre knew that there had to be  some magic heating the area, as she wasn't cold, and the surrounding mountains were littered with snow. Feyre knew that she was underground inside her cell, but she didn't realize that the prison was carved into a mountain. Feyre had no idea where she was, and she only prayed that she was still in the Night Court, to make escape and rescue easy.