Chapter 45

I was alive. For what felt like the first time, I was alive. After the beach, Mason and I had come back to The Main Compound and I got to watch as Jordan slowly gave his son more and more control over Black Butterfly. 

Today I would be watching him take his fathers mantle, and my heart starts racing at the thought. Mason would be the leader of one of America's toughest and largest gangs. He would be a formidable force, others would think twice before starting anything. Especially after Caden, and whatever was left of The Ark. 

Caden had been held in isolation until Mason had woken from his recovery, and when he was well enough to walk, he paid a visit to Caden. Mason won't tell me what happened, but he was shaken when he came back and didn't sleep well for a week. All I know is Caden was dead, and the rest of his team mysteriously disappeared. 

I stare at myself in the mirror, trying to remember the girl I used to be. The person looking back at me was happy, full of life even with everything I'd seen and experienced. My hair was loose down my back, the small diamond earrings Mason had given me glinted and I smiled. He'd given them to me a few days after the beach. I wear the gold band on my left middle finger, waiting for the day I can move it one over. The deep red of my lipstick brought out the devil in me, and made my teeth as white as pearls. I hear soft footsteps and see Nick step trough the doorway.

The folds of my dress swish as I look at him. Immaculate as always, his black and white suit and tie only make him more attractive. "Careful Nick, if any of the girls see you in that I think they'll drool on their dresses." He and I share a small laugh. 

"Yeah, you're lucky Mason already has his hold on you. Though I wouldn't be surprised if any of the boys pushed the limit tonight." 

The dress Olivia helped me pick out was stunning. The red silk hugged my waist but flowed out with a slit almost to the top of my thigh. The gold heels traveled up my calf and made me a few inches taller. I looked beautiful, and dangerous. 

Nick held out his arm and I crossed the room, taking it. "Are you ready?" 

"Yes." I tell him, and it doesn't feel like a lie. I am ready; ready for whatever comes our way. 

-

Ivy and Olivia had been telling me about this for weeks but it was totally different to experience it. The Exchange, as it was called, was a massive gathering of everyone in the gang, and even a few from other factions. I spot Jordan standing, back turned, at the dais in the front of the room, his sister and brother on each side. I suppose it was almost like a wedding, or a coronation. Nick and I would be the last to walk down the long aisle after everyone in front of us. As Nick and I finalize our positions and strange quiet falls over the room. 

Each pairing of two begins the walk, and before I lose the nerve I take my first steps with Nick. His arm is solid, and he is a steady presence to my now rolling stomach. I take a quick inventory at everyone in the room and realize that everyone is either in all black, or black and white. I am the only one in color and my heart skips a few beats. 

At last we find our seats at the front and sit. A vibration starts low in the room, but it's only the crowd humming in their throats. A single foot begins to pound into the floor, then it's joined by another, and another until the whole room is stomping in unison. Then I see him. 

Mason starts down the path, his all black suit swallowing the light from all angles. He looks like a warrior even in the suit and strength leaks from him. The stomps follow him until he reaches the bottom on the dais, then it's silence. 

Jordan turns, and looks at his son. I can see the gleam of pride in his eyes. 

"Ace, you stand before us and reveal that you are ready. That you wish to take my place as leader of Black Butterfly. Do you attest to these statements?" 

Mason stares at his father and says, voice hard, "Yes. I do." 

Jordan gestures Mason up and when the stand face to face, Mason nearly taller than Jordan, and the latter holds his arm out. The silence is almost deafening before Mason grips his father and they stand there together, then the room erupts. Cheers and shouts echo off the high ceilings and fall back onto my ears. I find myself yelling along with them. I stomp and clap and scream, bursting with pride and happiness. 

Mason's eyes find mine and I give him one of my best grins. He gives me one back. 

-

The Main Room has been transformed into almost a ballroom, the mats and computers all cleared away. Golden string lights and green garlands drift down from the roof and the room glitters. Mason walks me into the room, a hand around my waist. 

He nuzzles my neck, voice low in my ear, "You look incredible."

"I could say the same about you." I murmur back and I feel his hand flex against my side. The heat of his body pours into mine and I lean into him. Hoots and hollers follow wherever we walk and Mason's smile is brighter than any light. 

After about an hour he looks at me. "What do you way we get out of here?" 

I raise a brow. "And go where?" 

"Anywhere." 

I laugh as he takes my arm and leads me out of the compound, and leads me to the convertible he brought out for tonight. The air is warm and I feel it rip through my air as we race down the road. I look at Mason and my heart constricts in my chest. 

I love him. 

The air is charged with electricity and when we rest at a red light I pull Mason to me. The crimson glow lights up the side of his face and I put my lips on his and we melt into the other. 

The light turns green and Mason sends me a wicked grin as we shoot forward. 

Our laughter and love illuminating the way. 

The End