Chapter 28

My throat was raw by morning, or whatever time it was. The cell had no windows, nothing to keep track of time. My wounds still bled but some had started to clot over. When I moved my body exploded in pain and I gasped. It burned like hell. 

-

Nobody came to get me that day, or the next. I didn't even know if time had passed, I couldn't tell. It felt like I'd been in this cage forever, my head was starting to hurt. I slept and I groaned and I slept some more. 

-

More hours, more pain. It never ended. No one came through the hall, nobody dropped off food. I was beginning to think all my hope was for naught. No sounds drifted my way and not a single light went out, though they were on all hours of the day. Sleep eluded me most of the time and the pain ahd turned into an ever-present throb. 

-

I neveer move from my spot on the floor, it hurt to much. Everyday was spent testing my body; which ways I could move, which ways sent my mind spiraling into pain. One of the gashes split at least once a day and I couldn't clean up the ppol of blood I was surrounded by. 

-

I thought of what was happening to my family every hour. Was mom worried? How was Anthony? Were they okay? Then I thought of Mason, and how he hand't made it yet. I knew he probably had other things to worry about, like actually taking down The Ark. But it still hurt to know that he was out somewhere, instead of here with me. 

-

I was starting to lose it. Little voices in the back of my head whispered horrible things. No one has come to save you because you're worthless. No one with want you now. Mason will sneer in disgust when he sees you. I tried to drown them out, but they followed me into my nightmares and chased me throughout. 

-

I hadn't eaten in days, maybe weeks. I could feel my body trying to shut down. All of my energy was spent trying not to bleed out onto the floor. Most of the cuts were throbbing less, but I felt every single one as if it were the only one. I slept more, but I dreamt of nothing. There wasn't anything to dream about when everything around you is gray and black.

-

There was still hope. A tiny, tiny piece of hope. No matter how much I felt like crying that little spark kept the tears at bay. Hope was a dangerous thing, but it was a powerful one too. Hope could change one persons life, which in turn could change thousands, millions. Hope could overthrow governments and countries. Hope was the only thing keeping me alive. I wasn't sure I could hold for much longer. 

-

The ring of silence had ingrained itself into my head. It was all I heard, I didn't even hear the grunting and the thuds until they were right outside the hall. When the noise finally reached me I tried to sit up, which ended in me on my back and in pain. I tried to call out for someone, but my throat was dry and raw and only air came out.