Chapter 36

My bed is soaked in sweat as I jolt awake. The orange glow of a streetlight was the only light streaming into my bedroom. 

I can't go back to sleep. The clock beside me read 2:00 am.

I climb out of bed and throw on some jeans and an old shirt, grabbing my sneakers on the way out. My hands still shaking as I grab the keys and start to drive.

-

My drive is silent and the ringing in my ears hasn't ceased. The road was as empty and even though it wasn't abnormal at this hour, it sent a small chill up my spine. I turned on an abandoned street and was met with the solid gray concrete of the compound. Parking under a cover, I made my way inside. 

The hallways were deserted and the fluorescent lights buzzed above me. I turned left and right through the winding hallways, slowly making my way to the heart of the building. As I made my way closer the sounds of grunts and thumps made their way to my ears. 

I turned the last corner and into the cavernous space. The mats and bags still hung as if everything was normal and the person in the middle swung at one of the bags as if it had insulted her. 

Ivy was a flurry of fists and legs. She threw a slew of punches, one after another. I walked around, trying to keep my steps light, careful not to disturb her. Ivy circled the bag, fists raised in a fighting stance. She slowed slightly but her eyes never left the bag. I stopped when she said, 

"I see you Bringer." 

"I didn't mean to intrude." I said softly.

"I'll be honest, nobody is around at this time. So I was surprised when I heard the alarm sound at  movement outside." Ivy said, fists still flying at the bag in front of her.

A small blush crept up my neck. "I can go-" 

"They plague us all, you know." She suddenly said.

"What?"

"The nightmares. I imagine that's why you're here." Her eyes snapped to me.

"How did you know?" 

"You don't seem like the kind of girl to be up at 3 am without reason." 

I chuckled slightly at that. "You've got me pegged." 

"It's my job." Ivy responded. She crossed behind one of the bags, "I know everything about everyone." 

"Must be nice to always know the truth." 

"Not all truths are kind, though, some of them cut deeper than blades." Her voice was quiet. 

I didn't know what to say so I nodded. Ivy made her way to me and started unwrapping her hands.