Chapter 7

The weather man said it was going to be a rainy Friday. Thick clouds, hard rain. I still had to go to school. I sighed, Sure, let's learn history in what looks almost like a hurricane. Sounds like fun. From the view out of my windshield, it looked that he was about right. Thick black clouds already covered most of the sky, and small droplets were falling. It was fitting for today.

The student parking lot was crowded with colorful umbrellas and kids with their backpacks on top of their heads. I liked the rain, the rhythm of the drops on my window, the darkness even in the middle of the day. Especially the thunder, as a child I would talk to the rain as a friend. Every time I heard thunder I'd challenge it, Come on. You can do better. And the thunder always seemed to answer. 

Every time I told my great grandmother she'd laugh and ask, "What is it saying today?" And we'd talk to the thunder together. Today was her birthday, though she wasn't alive to celebrate. We were extremely close, but my grandfather took it the hardest. He couldn't even see her at the funeral. Me and my mother, through our tears, thought she looked like a mannequin. 

Tears prick my eyes at the memory, and I blink them away. Mourning would come later. I climb out of the car and start to the school. 

My locker was blocked by a couple sucking each other's faces off. "Excuse me." I grunted and pushed them out of the way. The girl sent a glare my way and grabbed her boyfriend and took him somewhere else. I shook my head. Disgusting. I heard giggling and turned to tell them off again but it wasn't but the girl next to me. It was coming from across the hallway, from Mia Padderson, queen bitch of the school. And who was leaning over her, but my partner. 

Mia was twirling a piece of her hair between her fingers, trying to be coy about it. I scoffed and turned back to my locker, jamming books into it and trying to ignore the rolling in my stomach. Mason can flirt with whoever he wants, hell he can bring whoever he wants to bed. I don't care. I shouldn't. 

Another giggle sounds from the other side of the hallway and I can't stop myself from looking to the source. Mason's face is in the crook of her neck and Mia's got her hand on his shoulder. She catches my eye and smirks while I roll my eyes and close my locker. 

I'm almost to first period when strong arms grab me from behind. "What the hell? Let me go!" I struggle against them. Pushing me down the hallway and into the janitors closet, I'm let go and the door is shut behind me. 

"Look I don't know who the hell you are, or why you've dragged me into a closet, but you need to let me go now. I have to get to class." The man chuckled, "Calsy don't play coy with me." Mason. "Mason, this isn't funny." 

"Does it sound like I'm laughing." It didn't, but something was different. His voice was lower, more lewd. 

"Look Mason, I have to get to class. Get out of my way." 

He grabbed my waist and pulled me close, "Mia told me that you saw us in the hallway." 

I froze, "You're- I-" I huffed, "My locker was on the other side of the hallway, of course I saw. Lots of people probably saw it. Especially when she was making all those noises." I regretted the last words as soon as they were out of my mouth.