Chapter 1

I hate Mondays. With a passion. Why is another story. Monday's are the start of the week which means school. The huge black void of teen depression, acne, stress, STDs, and other shit I won't mention. School also means: cliques. Popular, jock, nerd, band, and the irrelevants. Most of the school falls under the irrelevant category , including me. Band kids are usually included in that too. 

I pull into my parking space, and slam the door on my black Honda CR-V. I'd had a bad morning. My brother had toasted my pop tarts, and while that would have been fine, he'd eaten half of them before putting them in the toaster. "Calsy! Hey, you okay?" The question belonged to my friend, Jasie. "I'd be better off if my brother would actually leave me something to eat." I replied. "Anthony is still eating your pop tarts? When will the boy learn?" Jasie says her voiced laced with sarcasm, she breaks into a smile. I laugh, only she can make me smile when my stomach is empty. "Let's just get to class before Mr. Langer yells at us." We laugh and walk straight into a hell of a high school. 

Science passes without incident. Math is a mess of letters and numbers that I can barely understand, and suddenly it's time for English. My favorite subject, other than lunch of course, I gather my stuff and head to my class. Ms. Chase was one of my favorite teachers. Being only 25 she understood the kids and didn't talk down to us, but to us. She was reasonable, and resourceful. I walk down the row of desks to my seat in the middle. The rest of the class files in and soon the room is filled with noise from conversations all around me. I reach into my backpack and pull out my notebook when the noise suddenly dies. I look up and see him. Him. Of all people did it have to be him? 

 Mason Shade. The most mysterious and rude guy of the school. Total ass. He steps in with a smirk on his face as he notices the silence that occurred as he walked in. Prick, I think. He walks down my isle and people follow him with their eyes. I continue to get out the stuff I need for class. Suddenly I feel a presence behind me. This asshole. Did he have to take the seat right behind me?! What a jerk. After more staring people return to their conversations, trying to casually look back at Mason without looking to obvious.

"Come here often?" A low voice whispers into my ear. I ignore him. My time would only be wasted if I spoke to him. 

His hot breath tickles the back of my neck. He moves up closer. The breath now on the back of my ear. 

"As a matter of fact, asshole, I do. And I like to pay attention, so if you don't mind I'd like you to respect my personal space." I respond, an edge in my voice.

"Feisty. I like that. This is going to be fun." He says only before leaning back.

"Hello class! I have some exciting news-" Ms. Chases voice is cut off by an excited whisper. "That will be announced at the end of class." A groan around the room. "Now please copy these definitions into your notebooks..."

"So, what do you think the big news is? She's quitting? Pregnant? Doing drugs? Got arrested and now can't be within 50 feet of children?" Mason whispers to me.

"Definitely not any of those. Have you even met Ms. Chase? Better yet how are you in this class, it's an honors class. You have none of that." I shoot back, still copying the definitions on the board.

"I'll have you know, Ms. I Can't Be Botherd, that I do in fact have honor and you have just insulted it and that will not stand. I demand an apology." The smirk is evident in the tone of his voice. 

"You will never get an apology from me. Not as long as I live." I respond. 

I hear him sit back and class continues without further interruption.

"Ok guys it's time to find out what the big news is!" Ms. Chases' voice breaks the silence that had settled over the room, and everyone rushes their materials into their bags. "Were doing a project this quarter about each other which will include partners-" happy sqeels fill the room, "that I will be picking." Groans. Please Ms. Chase set me up with someone good. "Abigail Wares and Tari Sawe..." Ms. Chase goes down the long list of names. Some are met with smiles and others with disappointed sighs. "Calsy Bringer and Mason Shade. Ok that's it, now let me explain further about what I expect..." I wanted to listen but my mind was reeling. I'm paired with him. With Mason fucking Shade. Of all people. The bell is the only sound I hear when I leave the room and head to lunch.

"Cals are you okay?" Jasie's voice cuts me out of my trance as I sit down next to her. "Jas I think I'm actually going to die." I say. "You won't but please explain why you feel that way." She responds, so I tell her. How he walked into the room, whispered in my ear and then how I was chosen to be his partner. "Cals are you actually kidding me?" She chuckled, "you got the hottest guy in school as your partner and you're upset. Only my friend." She sighed. Then stopped her gaze drifted behind me and I knew I wouldn't like what I found.

"Howdy partner! Get it? Cause we're partners?" A smile spread over Mason's face as he stood over me. 

"I'm not stupid. What do you want?" I snap.

"Can I have your number?" Mason asked

"What?"

"For the project. We have to talk for this one unfortunately." He said.

"If I give it to you will you leave me alone?" 

"For now yes." He smirked

I gave it to him and he left. "I can't believe you. He's gorgeous and yet somehow you manage to hate him." Jasie says. "Jasie it's not just looks. A guy needs to have an actual personality." "Whatever you say..." 

Later as I'm walking back to my car my phone buzzes:

Mason: Hey when do you want to meet?

Me: I'm sorry?

Mason: For the project. We're you paying attention? We have to 'get to know' our partner. You're my partner aren't you?

Me: All I need to know is that you're an ass and that should be all.

Mason: Ouch, my honor. I'll see you soon

The conversation closes and I'm left wondering, What do I get to know from the guy no one knows anything about?