Chapter 4

I avidly avoided Mason the next week. And the week after that. And after three weeks, it seemed as though we had never spoken at all and never will again. It was a blessing, but after the third week I realized how much I actually looked forward to our so called 'dates'. I knew it was foolish and that I should hate him, but that look in his eyes the day he limped into the Dennys still preyed upon my thoughts and dreams. 

"You should go and talk to him." My best friend, Jasie, said. "Someone told me he's really broken up about you guys not talking." "If he's so broken he can come talk to me. Especially considering he's the one who didn't deign to respond." I'd told her about the text but not about what had happened that day. "Calsy he might've been jealous." "I severely doubt that Jas." 

"Oh think about it. You guys were getting cozy in some trash restaurant and then some guy steals his moment to shine by showing you his manners!" I sighed. "Mason doesn't have manners remember? He takes girls and then throws them away like they're nothing." Jasie rolled her eyes, "Calsy you are blind, he clearly feels- oh my god he's looking at you right now!

I didn't even turn, but I felt the pressure of his stare. My phone buzzed but I didn't bother to see who it was. I knew. I didn't want to talk to him. We hadn't spoken in class though Ms. Chase had reminded us that at the end of next month our presentation was due. "Calsy now you're just being petty and rude." Jasie shot me a glare. "He didn't answer me," I responded, "I don't owe him anything."  The pressure lifted and I slumped down, unaware I wasn't holding myself up. "You, Calsy Bringer, are the dumbest person I know. He clearly has something to say, you should hear him out." 

I shot her a glare. She was my best friend and knew my limits, but she was really pushing it. She seemed to realize it and put her hands up in mock defeat. I sighed, she was probably right I should hear him out, but I didn't want too. The bell rang and I picked up my bag and said goodbye to Jasie. 

I didn't take any extracurricular activities, so history was my last period of the day. I stopped at my locker on my way, and put all the things I didn't need away. I felt him before I saw him, his upper torso covered covered by my locker door, but his waist and below I could see. I sighed and shut the door, starting to walk down the hall. "Calsy, wait!" Mason called. I didn't stop, I kept moving. "Calsy, please," I slowed my pace by a small amount and he jogged to get to me. "Calsy, I know I've kind of been an asshole lately." I snorted. "Yeah, yeah, ok I get it. It's true." He said. 

"Talk fast." I said sharply. "I don't have time for excuses." 

"Right, I wanted to apologize." I froze. "Even though I don't exactly know what I did." I glared at him. He held his hands up. "I really don't though." 

"You came to our meeting bleeding from a giant gash in your stomach. Your face was cut up and bruising. And when I ask for an explanation, you wouldn't tell me. Do you expect me to just drop it?" I spat. 

"It wasn't that bad." Mason argued. 

"You almost passed out." 

"Did not." 

"Who was the one that was cleaning you up? You limped into the restaurant." He sighed and opened his mouth to continue but I spoke first. "And you didn't answer me when I texted you. After everything, that's the least you could've done." 

"You're right, you're right. Again I'm sorry." He stopped and I found myself stopping too. "Listen, I want to make it up to you." I wasn't ready to just forgive him so I said, "I'll see." And strode off toward class, Mason didn't follow me. 

I climbed into my car and silence followed me home, but I found it a welcome relief to the nonstop chatter or school. I pulled into the driveway and headed up the front porch and into a deserted house. The note on the counter told me my mom wouldn't be back until later and dad was on a business trip. The words, "Can you vacuum? Thanks sweetheart!" Were written in my moms neat scrawl. 

I sighed, it was either do this now, or have my mom nagging me later. I put my stuff in my room and grab the vacuum from the hall closet. I grabbed the remote and turned to the music channel on my tv. The volume was high enough to be heard over the drone of the vacuum. 80's blasted through the house and time seemed to flow in an even pattern. I couldn't tell when twenty, thirty minutes had passed. 

The vacuum had been set up in the corner, the floors clean. But the music on the tv still played, and played loud. Dead or Alive's Find Myself a Brand New Lover blasted through the living room and into every room in the house. I turned around and swung my arms unaware of the front door opening. 

Hands grabbed my waist I spun around and almost punched the man behind me, until I saw the insufferable grin plastered on his face. "Who let you into my house?" I asked Mason, stepping out of his grasp on my waist. "Front door was unlocked, figured I'd let myself in." I frowned. "Did I come in at a bad time?" He asked sweetly, his mouth set in a smirk. "I was finishing cleaning. Why are you here?" He strolled around me and into the room. I crossed my arms and raised an eyebrow at him. "Since I clearly don't know how to text," he grinned, "I figured I'd stop by instead." 

"For what?" 

"Well we still have a lot to do with out projects so..." Mason let his voice trail of and his gaze lift to the ceiling. 

"So what?" My patience was growing thin.

"So, tomorrow. You, me, my place, 5:00" He said and strode out. 

Who does he think he is, getting to demand things like that? What an ass. Oh god I'm going to his house. Oh god. 

The rest of the night was spent worrying. I didn't want to go to his house, it probably reeked or arrogance and other things I didn't want to think about. 

I was in a whole world of trouble. 

Oh god.